No longer detects wifi card

Hello,

I was using my laptop and the battery drained and then powered off

When I started to charge it again it no longer detects wifi or a wifi card

I did do a pacman update a hour before the event so not sure if that actually caused an issue

I’m on a Macbook Air 2012

when I do ip link - it only shows:
1: Lo <LOOPBACK,UP>

wifi-menu runs but with
invalid interface specifications

lspci -k | grep -A 2 -i network
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Inc… AIrpOrt Extreme [106b.009e]

rfkill
only shows bluetooth

It seems to be the broadcom with kernel 10 update, a solution is there.

EDIT:

wifi-menu runs but with
invalid interface specifications

could you give the result of:

lspci -k
lspci -k
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
	Subsystem: Apple Inc. Device 00fe
	Kernel driver in use: ivb_uncore
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
	Subsystem: Apple Inc. Device 00fe
	Kernel driver in use: i915
	Kernel modules: i915
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 7270
	Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
	Kernel modules: xhci_pci
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
	Kernel driver in use: mei_me
	Kernel modules: mei_me
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
	Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
	Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
	Kernel driver in use: pcieport
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev c4)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
	Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation QS77 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
	Kernel driver in use: lpc_ich
	Kernel modules: lpc_ich
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
	Kernel driver in use: ahci
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
	Kernel driver in use: i801_smbus
	Kernel modules: i2c_i801
02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM43224 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 01)
	Subsystem: Apple Inc. AirPort Extreme
	Kernel modules: bcma
03:00.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation DSL3510 Thunderbolt Controller [Cactus Ridge 4C 2012] (rev 03)
04:00.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation DSL3510 Thunderbolt Controller [Cactus Ridge 4C 2012] (rev 03)
04:03.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation DSL3510 Thunderbolt Controller [Cactus Ridge 4C 2012] (rev 03)
04:04.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation DSL3510 Thunderbolt Controller [Cactus Ridge 4C 2012] (rev 03)
04:05.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation DSL3510 Thunderbolt Controller [Cactus Ridge 4C 2012] (rev 03)
04:06.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation DSL3510 Thunderbolt Controller [Cactus Ridge 4C 2012] (rev 03)
05:00.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation DSL3510 Thunderbolt Controller [Cactus Ridge 4C 2012] (rev 03)
	Subsystem: Device 2222:1111
	Kernel driver in use: thunderbolt
	Kernel modules: thunderbolt`Preformatted text`

my logs as per link thread

http://ix.io/2Kym

select all your result code and click on the symbol </> to read it easily

updated

going through that thread now

Thanks

02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM43224 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 01)
	Subsystem: Apple Inc. AirPort Extreme
	Kernel modules: bcma

Do you use 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz ?
Need to check about this BCM43224…

1 Like

currently I’m on 5GHZ

My phone is still conneced to wifi

Is there any other troubleshooting steps I should take?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Broadcom_wireless

@shodan
Try installing broadcom-wl and reboot.

1 Like

Did you see this from the @Shjim link ?

Device inaccessible after kernel upgrade

Since the 3.3.1 kernel the bcma module was introduced. If using a brcm80211 driver be sure it has not been blacklisted. It should be blackisted if using a b43 driver.

If you are using broadcom-wl, uninstall and reinstall it after upgrading your kernel or switch to broadcom-wl-dkms package.

1 Like

The broadcom-wl-dkms is not working anymore for me on 3 computers on the 5.10.3 kernel. I had to revert to the broadcom-wl and it works. The broadcom-wl-dkms doesn’t work after a subsequent reboot. My chips are the Broadcom BCM4360 though.
Edit:

25:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 03)
        Subsystem: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries Device 0619
        Kernel driver in use: wl
1 Like

ran sudo modprobe brcmsmac

wifi came back online

made a change to my grub

modprobe.blacklist=wl modprobe=brcmsmac

rebooted and wifi is enabled

I’ll try your additional steps

now my laptop random freezes/locks

Happened a half dozen times while browsing the web

I uninstalled broadcom-ws
installed broadcom-ws-dkms

I removed the grub blacklist and mapprobe entry I posted above

I’ll see if this resolves the freezes/locking out issue as well

This is one way to spend my day off
troubleshooting an linux update and learning emacs…

1 Like

I uninstalled broadcom-ws
installed broadcom-ws-dkms

To be sure you meant broadcom-wl and not broadcom-ws ?

It seems that there is a bug report https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/69065?project=5&string=broadcom-wl a new one is in testing due to kernel 10 !

With the Broadcom BCM43224 and update kernel it seems to not be new !
Solution for now could be the one that experienced @ricklinux in installing the broadcom-wl

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130071

Give the result from:

rfkill list

I only reason i suggested this is because if they had the broadcom-wl-dkms installed before and it was working then it should work with the broadcom-wl as this is what i have experienced. You have to reboot after installing it.

I mean
broadcom-wl-dkms and not broadcom-ws

rfkill
ID TYPE DEVICE SOFT HARD
0 wlan phy0 unblocked unblocked
1 bluetooth hci0 unblocked unblocked

my wifi is working now but the laptop randomly freezes/locks
happened so far when I was browsing the web with Brave

I uninstalled my VPN and testing without it for an hour

Going to re-install my VPN and now see if the occurs occurs

1 Like

Try this:

sudo rmmod b43 b43legacy ssb brcm80211 brcmfmac brcmsmac bcma wl
sudo modprobe b43 allhwsupport=1

If that improves things, then create the following file:

/etc/ modprobe.d/ b43.conf

Add the following contents to the conf file:

blacklist wl
blacklist brcmsmac
options b43 allhwsupport=1

Reboot.

4 Likes

Hey there @shodan. I posted my suggestion to you 3 days ago, and I see you were online yesterday. The two terminal commands I asked you to run takes all of 5 seconds effort. Generally when someone is kind enough to go out of their way to compose a detailed reply for someone who is requesting help the courteous thing to do is to at least acknowledge their effort to help.

When users ignore my suggestions or fail to provide feedback to my suggestions, I generaly tend tend to respond in kind by ignoring that users requests for help in the future.

I can’t speak for others, but I personally find that type of behaviour totally lacking in courtesy towards those kind enough to come to your assistance. IMO whether a suggestion helps (or not) you should always acknowledge it, and provide feedback as to whether the suggestion worked. This helps others in the future searching for solutions to similar problems, and is just the polite thing to do.

Then again, perhaps I am just too old to accept the fact that common courtesy is no longer a common occurance in this day and age.

9 Likes