Newbie: codecs or mime types missing for kaffeine&vlc?

Hi there

so I have decided to try my first arch-based distro and my choice is EndeavourOS! Being addicted to debian-based and ubuntu-based distros so far, and OpenSUSE, let’s start the discovery!

I have installed kaffeine and vlc according to instructions, and they work OK as such, but not in the specific setup I need them for.

I am using vlc to play TV-streams from my LAN-connected set-top-box et9000. When I click a channel in the et9000’s OpenWebInterface, it generates a stream.m3u8 file that opens with vlc and has the following content:

#EXTM3U
#EXTVLCOPT–http-reconnect=true
#EXTINF:-1,Das Erste HD
#EXTVLCOPT:program=10301
http://192.168.178.25:8001/1:0:19:283D:3FB:1:C00000:0:0:0:

vlc opens OK but seems to be unable to “connect” to the address/stream and play it.

Any thoughts?

Second, I use kaffeine to play TV with my built-in DVBSKy S950 DVB-S/S2 PCIe Sat card, which is already properly installed and configured in my system. But when I click a channel, only its EPG data is displayed but no video nor audio.

Could I be missing some codecs here?

Tx

thn

Welcome to the forum! :smile:

Just guessing, but maybe you need to install the firmware for your card:

yay -S dvbsky-firmware

Or this:

yay -S media-build-dvbsky

For the vlc, just guessing again, have you enabled a firewall that might prevent connection?

Tx manuel.
I usually copy the needed firmware modules like this

#!/bin/bash

cp ./dvb-fe-ds300x.fw /lib/firmware/
cp ./dvb-fe-ds300x.fw /lib/firmware/dvb-fe-ds3000.fw
cp ./dvb-fe-ds3103.fw /lib/firmware/
cp ./dvb-fe-rs6000.fw /lib/firmware/

cp ./dvb-demod-m88ds3103.fw /lib/firmware/
cp ./dvb-demod-m88rs6000.fw /lib/firmware/

cp ./dvb-demod-si2168-a20-01.fw /lib/firmware/
cp ./dvb-demod-si2168-a30-01.fw /lib/firmware/
cp ./dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw /lib/firmware/
cp ./dvb-tuner-si2158-a20-01.fw /lib/firmware/

echo “Copy Firmware for DVBSky card/box.”

so I am wondering what the yay commands will do and if they will override/break something?

In any case I can seen the DVB-S2 card being correctly recognized in kaffeine’s TV setup, so in my view it should already work.

For vlc, how would I disable the firewall? Do I need to install ufw?

Tx, thn

Please note that I’m not familiar with your hardware.
It is possible that the yay command copies the same files but I don’t know for sure.
To check it, you could go to aur.archlinux.org and search for dvbsky.
Then check the PKGBUILD files of those packages.

Managing ufw may be easier with gufw. But again, I’m just guessing about the firewall. By default the firewall is not enabled unless you have enabled it.