New to the community

Hi, I am new to the community and I have basic experience with Linux. I have a few questions to ask before I try this distro out.

• Is this distro rolling based release?
  • Is there anything unique about this distro compared to other distros out there?
  • Is KDE plasma designed differently compared to the default version of KDE?
  • Does it send telemetry data or anonymous data to the team, if so is it possible to disable this?
  • Can I do a full disk encryption for the partition that I install it in?
  • Can I easily change kernel from Linux to Linux-zen?

welcome, the distro is based on archlinux, no, it is archlinux with xfce4 the installer calamares, no; “you are not windows or macOS” yes you can change kernel but mano

1 Like

Cool thanks for your help, but can you do a full disk encryption though?

yes, calamares can do it

1 Like

I can run calamres during the installation, right?

when you make your installation: you can choose different options

1 Like

Welcome.
Basically, you get an OS that is almost pure Arch linux. The installer ensures quick installation of the system in GUI mode. On the home page of the project probably you find the information you need.

It depends mainly on what you are guided by when choosing an OS. Since this distro is based on Arch, its advantages certainly include speed.
Currently, EOS is delivered with XFCE 4.14. In autumn, developers plan to release online-installer, in which you can make a choice during installation from 10 different DE’s. Nothing prevents you from removing XFCE and installing suitable DE e.g. after installing the system. Plasma is the same as in the official repos of Arch.

Rather it doesn’t send, but if you run Wireshark, you’ll probably learn everything :wink:

1 Like

Oh nice that is pretty good.

That is good to know and that is something I certainly want.

What does EOS mean?

That is pretty cool.

Thanks for letting me know :slight_smile:

Lol I don’t really have much experience with Wireshark :slight_smile:

Welcome! EOS is shorthand for EndeavourOS.

1 Like

I like how XFCE is customised on EOS. Normally it looks pretty ugly on other distros such as Xubuntu and Manjaro XFCE edition. But so glad to see EOS has put in the effort to actually make it look very nice. It almost tempts me to just use XFCE, in fact it may even look better than KDE.

1 Like
  1. Is this distro rolling based release?
  2. Is there anything unique about this distro compared to other distros out there?
  3. Is KDE plasma designed differently compared to the default version of KDE?
  4. Does it send telemetry data or anonymous data to the team, if so is it possible to disable this?
  5. Can I do a full disk encryption for the partition that I install it in?
  6. Can I easily change kernel from Linux to Linux-zen?

1. yes! using archlinux repositories itself.
  2. other distros is a bit to generall, compared to other Archlinux based Distros, EndeavourOS is very close to Archlinux itself, not providing bloat of software and want to make you join the archway to install Packages and update the system.
  3. Till now we do not provide to install other Desktops then XFCE4 by default from the installer ISO, this will change when we are ready to provide the netinstall ISO.
  4. Privacy
  5. Calamares is what we do use to install EndeavourOS, and it includes encryption.
  6. Kernel handling is very straight forward on Archlinux, you can install linux-zen with pacman
2 Likes

Does it support deniable encryption by any chance?

The sentence about the ‘plasma’ could actually cause misunderstanding, so I changed it to make it more relevant to your question …
But if you’re going to stay with the fast XFCE, this can be considered relatively unimportant

Thanks for changing it

I am not too sure if I am going to use XFCE or KDE, I probably would use KDE, but I will see when I get the distro.

Cool.
I was about to answer question No. 2, that you were editing …
Greetings.

1 Like

I’m a big advocate of encrypting my systems (HOWTO - GPT/UEFI install with full disk encryption: LVMonLUKS with a separate home partition and working hibernation with a swapfile) but plausible deniability is overrated or just downright dangerous in my opinion.

The problem with legislation like RIPA is that the burden of proof falls on you: If you cannot prove there is no data, that’s your problem - and you could spend time in prison. It’s that simple.
If an encryption scheme potentially offers a so called “hidden container” feature I wouldn’t believe you even if you actually gave up all your passwords; and you couldn’t prove you had! Obviously, plausible deniability also means that you cannot prove that data isn’t there, and that you’re not simply holding something back - which could result in jail time. So be careful, that’s the way it works.
You are hoping a court system will help you that requires individuals to surrender cryptographic keys to law enforcement even if this could incriminate oneself. Barbaric!
The best answer is simply not to travel to certain countries with “plausably deniable data”.

To answer your question, yes, Linux supports deniable encryption, but the installer EndeavourOS uses doesn’t (and probably never will).

I recommend just going for LUKS but if you really want to go the hard way here is some info to get you going …

3 Likes

I know for sure that VeraCrypt does offer full denaiable encryption on the partition Windows is installed by having a hidden container on the partition. So if you gave the outer container password, how would they exactly know that you are hiding something back without evidence?

Does LUKS support deniable encryption feature and does is it easy to set up using a GUI interface?

Can this stuff actually be done after the installation of the operating system?

They couldn’t know and neither you or they could prove there was more hidden data. The best part: you can even hide data in the hidden portion and then hide data in this section, and so on …

Now, everybody knows VeraCrypt (and TrueCrypt) has this feature so why should someone believe you didn’t make extensive use of it. You simply can’t prove that you haven’t given up all your passwords.

The problem with this: for example in the UK you can be jailed for withholding your encryption keys, even if you genuinely forgot your password(s) because how would/could you prove that.
As long as law enforcement thinks you’re withholding you’re basically f…ed.

XKCD said it all:

When would you stop using the wrench, knowing there is a “hidden container” feature?
It is actually a non-feature!

No! Well, you could copy your data into a encrypted system you set up later. You will not be able to convert your system in-place, though.

It is not that difficult to set up during the installation of EndeavourOS. If you don’t need anything fancy like logical volumes there is a checkbox (“Encrypt”) that will get you set up.
If you’re interested in a little more complex setup, read this.

2 Likes

wow that is really F***ed

Oh yeah I have seen this before.

What are logical volumes? Does LUKS support deniable encryption and can this be setup through GUI?

I will see if I want to actually now use deniable encryption or not but I just want to know all my available options before I actually install the OS.

It seems you won’t let this deniability thing go :wink: so why don’t you just do the following …

1. Install EndeavourOS with the GUI installer and choose “Encrypt”. You will end up with a standard full disk encrypted system.

2. In this LUKS-encrypted system you can mount, create and modify VeraCrypt containers (from the usual GUI you know from Windows). Yes, you can actually even use the hidden container feature of VeraCrypt in Linux. (Here is a link about TrueCrypt on Arch, but it also applies to VeraCrypt).

Install VeraCrypt by typing this in a terminal …

sudo pacman -S veracrypt

So you could give up your EndeavourOS password and your VeraCrypt container outer password and still have data in the hidden part.
Voila, I think that’s what you would consider as plausible deniability.

You can read about LVM here, but I would advise you just to forget about them at this stage of your knowledge.

All? You’ll never get to install then :wink:
Seriously, just go with steps 1. and 2. right now. (Next install you can then maybe go for LVMonLUKS etc.)

(Here’s some general information regarding luks)
To keep it simple:
LUKS is basically dm-crypt with a luks header. In this header some information (keys, etc.) is stored. One can actually look at the encrypted data and know that it is luks-encrypted. So this certainly isn’t deniable encryption.

But you could store and access the luks header someplace else, for example a USB-stick, which leaves you with pure random data on your encrypted partition/drive. Just as pure dm-crypt would give you. This could be considered as deniable encrytion.
Nobody could prove with certainty that they are looking at encrypted data and not random data.

But let’s get real. What else would a couple of GiB up to TiB of “random data” be, other than encrypted data. And with SSD’s becoming the standard, well, filling a ssd with random data to delete/shred data just isn’t necessary and actually really stupid. I certainly wouldn’t believe you if you told me you weren’t hiding data.

If you actually mean the hidden container feature of VeraCrypt when talking about plausible deniability, then no, this isn’t a standard feature of LUKS.
But if you read up on the links I provided in my earlier posts you will see it can be done. Just not per GUI and it may be a bit complicated for someone not used to the terminal and without any knowledge of the Linux filesystem etc.

2 Likes