New options for dracut

That isnt what that means. pacman has no idea where a package was installed from. It just knows that a package with that name is installed.

Okay, what about this message ?:

cat: kernel-install-for-dracut: No such file or directory

It just means that there’s no file named kernel-install-for-dracut in your home directory, which is to be expected.

1 Like

Can you explain what you were trying to do there?

In response to this I went to see if I had the same result.

This made me think that something was wrong.

Just attempting to understand what it all meant.
From what I understand this was a tempest in a tea pot. Nothing to see here :grinning:

I see. The problem is that you did cat kernel-install-for-dracut but since that isn’t the name of a file, it didn’t work.

What you probably needed to do was cat /etc/kernel-install-for-dracut.conf

@dalto
So i just set quiet in the dracut.conf file? Is that it? Do i have to run anything after or just wait until it runs on it’s own the next time it’s called?

Edit: It’s getting confusing with so many different questions and answers.

You don’t have to run anything.

If you want to test it you can run sudo dracut-rebuild but it isn’t required.

2 Likes

I see. Thanks for clarifying that.

1 Like

I just found out that this file gets overwritten with a new installation of the packages.
And that is although it is included in the backup:

backup=(etc/kernel/install.d/50-dracut.install etc/kernel-install-for-dracut.conf)

I dont understand why that is. etc/kernel/install.d/50-dracut.install does not get overwritten.

EDIT:
The package I install with “paru -S kernel-install-for-dracut” has version 1.7-3 and overwrites the file.

If I build the package by myself with

paru  -G kernel-install-for-dracut
cd kernel-install-for-dracut
makepkg -i

the package version is 1.7-1 and the file is not overwritten.

Hmm…perhaps there is an issue with the PKGBUILD for endeavouros. I will take a look at it later this morning. Maybe there is a typo in the backup line.

Thanks for reporting the issue.

EDIT: Yes. There was a typo. Sorry about that.

It will be fixed next time the package builds.

7 Likes

kernel-install-for-dracut 1.7-4 is released, coming to mirrors soon.

4 Likes

Yes, that worked. 1.7-4 just came through and it is good. Thanks!

2 Likes
# When DRACUT_QUIET is set to true, dracut will operate with quiet flag set suppressing most output

DRACUT_QUIET="true"

Is still enabled, because I had installed the new package from dalto before. However, when updating to kernel 6.1.10-arch1-1, I still got 2 messages from dracut that something could not be installed (I didn’t notice them, because all the crap with dracut is getting on my nerves). Why always these aggravations, what was wrong with mkinitcpio?

It won’t suppress actual errors or real warnings. What were the messages?

I don’t know anymore, I closed the console to go to sleep …

Probably the same as these two messages.

[2023-02-08T19:30:47-0500] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] :: Building initramfs for linux (6.1.10-arch1-1)
[2023-02-08T19:30:52-0500] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] :: Building fallback initramfs for linux (6.1.10-arch1-1)
[2023-02-08T19:30:52-0500] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] dracut: dracut module 'cifs' depends on 'network', which can't be installed
[2023-02-08T19:30:52-0500] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] dracut: dracut module 'nfs' depends on 'network', which can't be installed

That is fixed in the upcoming ISO. If you want to fix it in an existing install, add nfs cifs to the module omissions in /etc/dracut.conf.d/eos-defaults.conf.

It won’t hurt anything but it is a legitimate warning.

2 Likes

How do i add it here? With quotes?

omit_dracutmodules+= " network "
omit_dracutmodules+= " network nfs cifs "
2 Likes