New mirrorlist needs manual intervention!

Hmmm…I ran relector-simple after updating endeavouros-mirrorlist and don’t have any pacnew

TTY3
sudo pacman -Syy
sudo pacman -Syu
systemctl reboot

Same here.

1 Like

Right, that must be it, thanks for bringing it up. I just didn’t think that of course I had changed the file during testing.

So for most people no need to do any extra stuff, which is great.

2 Likes

Ouch…only 5 hours of sleep?

Why, that’s my normal sleeping time. (Just kidding :wink: )

Actually couldn’t sleep for some reason… and just came back here.
But now it is so late here that a good sleep is the only sensible option. :sleeping:

2 Likes

On KDE i updated with pacman and i saw the new mirror list file so i copied it as instructed. I didn’t try discover but i have been using it frequently without issue.

I got a pacnew when i updated using pacman and i have updated my mirrors many times using the welcome screen.

The button on the welcome app updates only Arch mirrors (for now).

I did a fresh install last night. Do i have to do this procedure?

Probably not. You can check if you have that /etc/pacman.d/endeavouros-mirrorlist.pacnew file. If not, all should be fine.

1 Like

No pacnew file, but every time I update I get this:

$ sudo pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
 endeavouros                   11.6 KiB   246 KiB/s 00:00 [###############################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
 there is nothing to do

endeavouros is never up to date and reloads. Anyone else getting this result?

Interesting. Seems like it is a github thing. Now that the github repo changed to another place in github, it strangely started giving this behavior. With the old github place it doesn’t.

As a guess, it might be caused by some kind of redirection at github?

I updated my system and got the pacnew file and i copied it over as instructed but i had made the change prior for testing. So i’m not sure if this is different again but it did create pacnew and i copied it over.

I get this when i run the update command also.

[rick@plasma-pc ~]$ sudo pacman -Syu
[sudo] password for rick: 
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
 endeavouros                   11.6 KiB  1653 KiB/s 00:00 [-------------------------------] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
 there is nothing to do
[rick@plasma-pc ~]$ 
1 Like

I also have that behavior. This has changed from previous output of sudo pacman -Syu.
But as all seems to work like before, I’m not that worried (famous last words… :wink: )

To get rid of that unnecessary endeavouros reload, you may want to modify the github mirror order at file /etc/pacman.d/endeavouros-mirrorlist to:

## Github
Server = https://github.com/endeavouros-team/mirrors/releases/download/mirror1/
Server = https://github.com/endeavouros-team/repo/raw/master/$repo/$arch

Both of those mirror addresses will be supported at least for a few months from now, so the change should be a safe thing to do.

And if EndeavourOS mirrors for some reason happen to change, we’ll update the
endeavouros-mirrorlist package for you in order to keep things working as expected. :wink:

1 Like

@manuel
I don’t know if this will help any, but here is an observation on my part.

You probably don’t remember a topic where I was having trouble getting the keyring and mirrorlist.

What I ended up doing is getting what the latest version IS from
https://github.com/endeavouros-team/repo/TREE/master/endeavouros/x86_64
Then downloading the actual file from
https://github.com/endeavouros-team/repo/RAW/master/endeavouros/x86_64/
I put the difference between the two in capitals letters to stand out, being TREE and RAW

Following this process, here is what I got yesterday after running the install script again

pacman -Q | grep mirrorlist
endeavouros-mirrolist 1.4-1 (no .pacnew)
pacman-mirrorlist 20200207-1

It seems to work fine. Just for my edification, what is the .pacnew part doing?

Pudge

Edited the file as suggested, then ran pacman -Syyu. Another pacman -Syu did not reload the endeavouros repo.

2 Likes

The longish explanation is available with command: man pacman, under HANDLING CONFIG FILES.

So, if you get a .pacnew file (e.g. endeavouros-mirrorlist.pacnew), you should

• always check what the changes are (e.g. compared to endeavouros-mirrorlist), and
  • manually merge (meaning: carefully copy only the useful parts) stuff from the .pacnew file to the original file

Depending on what the file is, you’ll probably end up mergeing

• nothing (e.g. /etc/passwd) because you most likely want to login in the future too :wink:
  • fully (e.g. application’s config file that you have not modified)
  • partially (e.g. a mirrorlist that you have modified, but want to include new mirrors)

As you can see, .pacnew files need careful and special case by case handling.

And this is one of the reasons pacman is a great package manager: it shows when user actions may be needed while updating the system, as it warns about .pacnew and some other files.

4 Likes

Update.

I am going to assume that I didn’t notice or I update more slowly than most. I checked again and had:

But only the endeavouros repo never showing an up to date output. I never had a .pacnew just an updated /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
Applied this:

sudo pacman -Syyu
Clean sudo pacman -Syu
Thank you @sothis6881 :wink:

1 Like

I had a problem with updating the mirrorlist as well.
in stead of copying it it got deleted.
Tried to create it but I have it wrong I guess.
I did:
sudo reflector -a4 -phttps -c Netherlands -f 10 --save /etc/
pacman.d/mirrorlist

then:
sudo pacman -Syyu

Which output:

: Pakket-databases synchroniseren...
fout:kan het bestand 'endeavouros.db' niet ophalen van mirror.fra10.de.leaseweb.net : The
requested URL returned error: 404
fout:kan het bestand 'endeavouros.db' niet ophalen van mirror.wtnet.de : The requested URL
returned error: 404
fout:kan het bestand 'endeavouros.db' niet ophalen van ger.mirror.pkgbuild.com : The reque
sted URL returned error: 404
fout:kan het bestand 'endeavouros.db' niet ophalen van mirror.orbit-os.com : The requested
URL returned error: 404
fout:kan het bestand 'endeavouros.db' niet ophalen van mirrors.n-ix.net : The requested UR
L returned error: 404
fout:kan het bestand 'endeavouros.db' niet ophalen van mirror.chaoticum.net : The requeste
d URL returned error: 404
fout:kan het bestand 'endeavouros.db' niet ophalen van mirror.metalgamer.eu : The requeste
fout:kan het bestand 'endeavouros.db' niet ophalen van arch.jensgutermuth.de : The request
ed URL returned error: 404
fout:kan het bestand 'endeavouros.db' niet ophalen van mirror.netcologne.de : The requeste
fout:kan het bestand 'endeavouros.db' niet ophalen van mirror.mikrogravitation.org : The r
equested URL returned error: 404
fout:fout bij het updaten endeavouros (kon niet alle bestanden ophalen)
core                      136,0 KiB  4,43 MiB/s 00:00 [############################] 100%
extra                    1651,4 KiB  6,20 MiB/s 00:00 [############################] 100%
community                   4,9 MiB  5,14 MiB/s 00:01 [############################] 100%
multilib                  159,1 KiB  12,0 MiB/s 00:00 [############################] 100%
fout:fout bij het synchroniseren van alle databases

They seem German mirrors iso Dutch(Netherlands)
Anyone an idea how to repair?