New mirrorlist needs manual intervention!

Hi all!

The new endeavouros-mirrorlist package version 1.4-1 needs manual intervention.

After system updates the new EndeavourOS mirrorlist is in file /etc/pacman.d/endeavouros-mirrorlist.pacnew. You need to copy that file onto /etc/pacman.d/endeavouros-mirrorlist.

So the following simple terminal commands need to be run:

cd /etc/pacman.d
  sudo cp endeavouros-mirrorlist.pacnew endeavouros-mirrorlist

This is needed as a preparation for future changes.

EDIT: as you can see below, this issue does not require any action by most users. Sorry guys, my bad!

3 Likes

I updated with Discover and it didn’t make a backup .pacnew and the only file from today is endeavouros-mirrorlist. Not sure if this will ever matter but I thought I’d mention it.

-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 643 Mar 4 17:37 endeavouros-mirrorlist
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Feb 25 20:37 gnupg
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mar 3 17:52 hooks
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 1059 Feb 25 20:40 mirrorlist
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 1155 Feb 25 20:40 mirrorlist.bak

That’s interesting!

I’m not using Discover. It seems not the handle packages like pacman does, which is very much a worrying thing. If that is the case, I’d recommend not to use Discover for updating the system!

I agree but I’ll keep using it and keep an eye on it and make a post with anything i find. I use it mainly because I like the principle of using a software centre that is distro agnostic, and they’ve come leaps and bounds this last 6 months. And the update icon is better than octopi :slight_smile:

There’s a real issue if Discover directly copies .pacnew files to the real files.

Typically .pacnew files are used as new versions of various configuration files, and configuration files should not be blindly overwritten. Otherwise the system may start behaving strangely.

Also, files like /etc/passwd may get .pacnew files, so blindly overwriting /etc/passwd probably makes the system unable to login anymore… which I’d say is not what anybody wants. :wink:

2 Likes

OK, good points, I’ll stop using it for now and see what KDE says about this, thanks @manuel

1 Like

It isn’t just discover. I see the same behavior.

With pacman?

Technically I used yay but it is just wrapping pacman.

I’m not totally sure, but I think yay is not using pacman directly, but the same alpm API that pacman uses. So the implementation may differ…

I reverted to a snapshot of a clean install and did the upgrade with pacman.

[dalto@endeavour ~]$ ls -l /etc/pacman.d/
total 16
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  643 Mar  4 11:37 endeavouros-mirrorlist
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Feb 21 14:29 gnupg
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mar  4 12:50 hooks
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1138 Feb 21 14:22 mirrorlist
[dalto@endeavour ~]$ pacman -Qi endeavouros-mirrorlist 
Name            : endeavouros-mirrorlist
Version         : 1.4-1
Description     : EndeavourOS mirrorlist
Architecture    : any
URL             : https://github.com/endeavouros-team
Licenses        : GPL3
Groups          : None
Provides        : None
Depends On      : None
Optional Deps   : None
Required By     : None
Optional For    : None
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Installed Size  : 643.00 B
Packager        : EndeavourOS <info@endeavouros.com>
Build Date      : Wed 04 Mar 2020 11:37:29 AM CST
Install Date    : Wed 04 Mar 2020 12:50:59 PM CST
Install Reason  : Explicitly installed
Install Script  : No
Validated By    : Signature

Well same here with

sudo pacman -Syu

Christoph

Sorry guys, I must have mixed something on my test system… :thinking:
Can’t seem to reproduce the issue. I’ll go and have some sleep. :sleepy:

Anyway, be sure to check those .pacnew (and .pacsave) files after system update.
At least pacman and yay will report them during update, many other tools may not.

3 Likes

Have a good an refreshing rest! :sleeping:

i cant find endeavouros-mirrorlist.pacnew in the folder

So…it just occurred to me. Aren’t pacnew files only generated if the source file has been modified? Most of us probably haven’t modified the endeavouros-mirrorlist file which would explain why none of us are getting pacnew files even though there is clearly a directive to back it up.

2 Likes

cp: cannot stat 'endeavouros-mirrorlist.pacnew': No such file or directory

(on Plasma/KDE based system, updated via Discover originally)

Hmmm? Should I be concerned? What impact should I see going forward? No package updates?

I wouldn’t be.

It should mean the new file was installed for you instead of having to do it manually. Look at the timestamp on the file /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist it should be recent.

2 Likes

I did not get a pacnew for the mirror list, but then I create a new mirror list every time I update (via an alias).

I updated with sudo pacman -Syu. No endeavouros-mirrorlist.pacnew in my /etc/pacman.d/. These’s just a mirrorlist.pacnew, but it’s an old one (according to the timestamp)