Need some help understanding something

After my troubles last week installing TBS drivers, I had a few problems with the latest version of tvheadend I cannot get my dvb card to scan even though it is recognised by tvheadend and the system

There are some notes in the AUR regards the latest build: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/tvheadend-git/

Changes:

• TVHeadend will be installed to /var/lib/tvheadend instead of /usr/share/tvheadend
  • Package will create the system user tvheadend (member of group video) with config files stored in /etc/tvheadend, it will not use a home directory anymore.
  • By using sysusers.d and tmpfiles.d permissions should be easier to manage.
  • tvheadend.service now includes -C by default.

So I have it working in version 4.2.8 and all is fine

Tell me if I am barking up the wrong tree here - my tbs drivers I think are installed in my home directory do I need to add them to the group ‘video’ ie do I need to give tvheadend permission to scan with my dvb card?

I might be totally wrong on this but have seen several comments reference ‘chroot’ when installing the tbs drivers:

arch-chroot wraps the chroot(1) command while ensuring that important functionality is available, e.g. mounting /dev/, /proc and other API filesystems, or exposing resolv.conf(5) to the chroot.

dvb drivers are listed under /dev/dvb

Thing is I dont really understand yet fakeroot/chroot - Am I overthinking it?

A week ago I had never used Arch and now feel pretty confident using yay/pacman thanks to some fantastic help on here

This is my first hurdle, feel like I am so close to solving this problem

No one else has mentioned this problem in 6 pages of comments: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/tbsecp3-driver-git-dkms/

Actually I might be totally wrong and its not installed in my home folder :confused:

[gary@gary-ms7817 ~]$ modinfo saa716x_core
filename: /lib/modules/5.14.12-arch1-1/extra/tbsecp3-driver-git/saa716x_core.ko.zst
license: GPL
author: Manu Abraham
description: SAA716x bridge driver
srcversion: 92C7134138B913598FB1D36
depends: dvb-core
retpoline: Y
name: saa716x_core
vermagic: 5.14.12-arch1-1 SMP preempt mod_unload
parm: adapter_nr:DVB adapter numbers (array of short)

See if I start tvheadend from terminal it flags up an error, if I understand correctly here I currently have 2 installs of tvheadend - one in my home directory and one in my root directory see the notes from first post:

• TVHeadend will be installed to /var/lib/tvheadend instead of /usr/share/tvheadend
  • Package will create the system user tvheadend (member of group video) with config files stored in /etc/tvheadend, it will not use a home directory anymore.
  • By using sysusers.d and tmpfiles.d permissions should be easier to manage.
  • tvheadend.service now includes -C by default.

If i use the systemctl start tvheadend.service I have access again

Does this make sense of the point I am trying to make in my first post do I have to install the tbs drivers as root or have I lost the plot lol

Did you install tvheadend, and then also the-git package? I would assume they are conflicting though.

Also, from a quick look at the wiki, the -git package is the development branch, you will likely have a lot more issues using that.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Tvheadend

Otherwise I don’t really know or understand what your question is too be honest. I hope this helps.

I do not t think you will need arch-chroot to make use of dvbt/s !

wiki says install the package/s and start the service, and as it is not using users dir it is a systemwide service… may you missed that part:

systemctl status tvheadend.service will give the status of the service.