Names and Colours

That’s a first, I haven’t encountered it either in real life.

For me on this topic right away, these came to mind freely. :slight_smile:

What did I start here :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

This is off topic, but your username made me curious if spinnekop is spider in general, or a particular kind of spider…

It led me to this page, which was an incredible fun read :smiley:
At least 90% of it was perfectly understandable for me (dutch speaking btw)

My surname is Webb. I was called spider when I was younger. Spinnekop is Afrikaans for spider so I have used that as a username for many years on various things. Just any old spider as far as I know.I changed my avatar to a Reënspinnekop (Rain spider). They scared the :poop: out of me a few times!

I’m guessing that’s rain spider / regenspin?
In my dialect we swallow the ‘G’ from regen, so it almost sounds like reën :slight_smile:

It exists, not common at all in the UK.

:mag_right:

Nothing to do with the fruit. An orange was actually a norange, it mutated over time and the “n” was dropped. :orange_circle:

There’s a list… Isn’t there always. The following are Dutch surnames and how many times they occurred.

1. Groen (11.670) -green
  2. Zwart (5.949) -black
  3. Bruin (3.439) -brown
  4. Rood (1.895) -red
  5. Wit (1.490) -white
  6. Blauw (917) -blue
  7. Oranje (735) -orange (I expected more)
  8. Geel (494) -yellow
  9. Roze (143) -pink
  10. Grijs (31) -grey
  11. Violet (< 5)
  12. Amber (< 5)
  13. Isabel (< 5)

The one that is missing is Purple. No purple Dutchmen…

Doesn’t violet count? It might not be EnOS purple, but still…

I knew a kid with a last name of Violette… he had some issues with it! And as a first name, anything goes it seems…

Oranges Poranges!!! I remember that!!! I’m old! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

In Russian Language there is a word for Light blue, and a different word for dark blue, but no word for blue!

I heard that just a few days ago, but don’t remember where, or in what context, but it sure is strange. I mean how do they deal with RGB color???

No knowledge of Russian - but wouldn’t it be light blue, because it consists of light? :grin:

Hello frend!
Idioma “Pасставим точки над i.” in Russian means: to clarify, making complete clarity, to complete.
colors_1
Colors_2

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/синий

“I mean how do they deal with RGB color???”
Answer: “Simply, use one of the color chart systems.”

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I know what a color chart is: Try using one mathematically. Color (frequencies of light waves) is a huge spectrum that can be expressed as a value of red, green and blue, AKA Primary colors for screens and projections, and for printing, Subtractive primaries (Cyan, magenta and yellow) are used to mix ink. Black ink is separate because mixing the three never quite gets to black.

Most of the world uses these systems, like in a 32 bit color space R170, G085, B255 is lavender, So what equivalent do you have as to a numbering system, so that graphic artists and photographers can communicate precise colors with, manufacturers, printers…? Do you send color charts back and forth :face_with_monocle:?

I don’t think so! :grin:

Talking about colors, here is a good guide on this complex topic: