Names and Colours

Completely random question: In English we have White, Gray/Grey, Brown, Black and Green as surnames. No orange or yellow or red or blue. What do other languages have?

1 Like

Not sure about yellow or blue but orange isnā€™t an English word in nature. It is from Africa. It is also the only word in the English language that does not rhyme with any other word :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Not surname but given name:

1 Like

Ah - Blanchehehe!

3 Likes

German surname:

Also Brown:

And Green:

The same so far - any different ones?

2 Likes

@BONK - According to the ever reliable wikipedia Orange derives from Sandskritā€¦ :india:

Another source:

:tangerine:

Here in India, ā€˜Lalā€™ is a common surname. Lal is Hindi word for the color red.

1 Like

:rofl:

1 Like

Your post made me look it up and Iā€™m quite surprised! The Sanskrit word in question is ā€˜narangaā€™ which generally refers to the color orange. Somehow it did end up becoming ā€˜orangeā€™.

ā€˜Narangaā€™ also refers to the orange tree but we usually call orange fruit as ā€˜santaraā€™.

Edit: Iā€™m wearing an orange sweatshirt right now. Unrelated but somehow related.

BTW,

happy-diwali

3 Likes

Oh thanks :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Happy Diwali to you too! :diya_lamp:

2 Likes

Sorry, there are no colours in Sweden, so hence no colour names.

6 Likes

Funny, now you mention it, the colours you summed up are indeed surnames also in Dutch. (except Grey)The Dutch word for yellow is geel and there are people with that surname.
Orange is also a surname in The Netherlands but only one family carries that name, so as long as youā€™re not royalty you wonā€™t carry Orange as your surname over here.

EDIT: Blue (blauw) is also a surname over here.

3 Likes

ā€œDe Bruyn(e)ā€ (Brown) and ā€œDe Witteā€ (White) are the first things I can think of in Dutch

1 Like

van Geel (yellow) Blaauw (blue) of course the obvious (black, green)
In The Netherlands I canā€™t come up with Grey though, in Belgium perhaps?

apparently "Grijsā€™ is a surname in Dutch :slight_smile:
Havenā€™t encountered it yet in real life tough

1 Like