My USB drive stopped mounting for some reason

I’m not sure if EndeavourOS forums are a fitting place for this, since it’s just a general computer question, not specific to EOS… if I really should move it somewhere else, please let me know.
my USB drive, for some reason, doesn’t mount. It is recognized in the USB list, but whenever I click on “Mount”, it instantly fails, giving an error without any details.
I haven’t tried to mount it on another system yet. Other USB devices function pretty well.
the only issue I know with it is, the wire that connects the drive to the computer sometimes tends to disconnect, although generally that wire doesn’t look broken at all.
the error persisted even after I reinstalled my EOS recently too, so I’m assuming the error is in the drive or in the wire.
this drive has a lot of photos and videos, so… I would be very grateful if someone knows how to figure it out.
this is how the end of the wire looks, the one that is plugged into the drive, in case it’s important:

Is this a Vantec NextStar 6G USB enclosure?

If you have a desktop available, you could take the SSD out of the enclosure and connect the SSD to a spare SATA port on your desktop to salvage your photos and videos. This should work unless the SSD itself is corrupted. OR if you are not comfortable with this, you can try a Data Recovery vendor and see what they would charge you to recover your files.

In the future, don’t store important files in only one place. Don’t ask me how I know this.

Pudge

1 Like

nope, it’s a Toshiba… 1TB drive. Not sure what type, I’m not very educated on this… but some of the things on the cover are: ITE HDD, DTP210 1TB
I don’t see any parts where I could “open” it either

That makes things a lot more difficult. If it were me, I would consider checking into a Data Recovery service and get an estimate on how much they charge. Then decide what to do.

Pudge

1 Like