I want to apologize for the post awhile back that I had pulled, I was not in a good place and I am sorry for the post.
With that said this is more of a Information post than anything. If I have it in the wrong place Mod’s Please move it where you want it. Thanks You!
Well what can I say about samba. It is a new dog that this old 66 year old dog had to re learn…
With that said, this is my lesson learned. I hope this helps someone else!
I finally got my Samba / Network sorted out. I know after my last post I started to think about my issue with samba yesterday and that lead to doing… Lol
With that said, I kept saying my samba config worked for years until Jan 2020. After fighting with this issue for months I had enough! I was going to Fix this Problem!!!
My Config was setup for a NT / Windows network. Work fine until January when Arch and Samba made changes in 2020. I’m guessing…
The other day I was looking for a file on a old backup storage file drive and I found my master copy of the smb.conf file from years ago. I was looking at it and noticed that there were no “protocol” statement. Years ago samba defaulted to SMB1 and or NT1 with no statements needed.
All my systems were set up this way. The Arch system I was messing with had all these “Min or Max or Core” stuff I was adding and still nothing was working on 2 of the Arch systems I was using for testing.
The 5 Debian based systems was kinda working mostly, by saying that, the Network Folder did not show anything but I could type the smb:// 192 address and get to the other Debian systems until last month.
Anyway back to this old smb.conf file. After looking at it for about a hour and thinking, I decided to shut down everything and just work on 2 systems, a Arch and Mint system until I get them working together and then add another one and so on. My Ubuntu Server was the Anchor Point.
After 15 plus hours of testing I have a fully working Network for Arch, MX, Mint, Ubuntu.
After a bunch of hoops I found what works for me, right or wrong. I also found a Samba setup Text file on the net by “Samba, by joekamprad” This file was designed for Arch but will work for Debian based ISO’s.
What I found that work for me is this:
[global] workgroup = STARFLEET passdb backend - tdbsam security = user usershare owner only = false client min protocol = NT1 server min protocol = NT1 name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins usershare path = /var/lib/samba/usershare wins support = yes
This works and I have my Network Folders back in Nemo and all the Network shares for all the computers are there like they use to be.
I know someone out there is going to yell “SMB2”! While yes I could use it I had 2 system that complained (Older Samba) about it so I stuck with NT1. It works for now and if I have issues later then I will change…
Like I said I ran NT servers for years for my customers and I know what to do then. This is Now, and Samba removing support for SMB1 had screwed up the works as “defaults” did not work either. Had to unlearn Sambas old ways… Lol
Anyway, there ya have it! This old Dog Won Again… Lol
Once again I’m sorry for the large post!