My Qtile Wallpaper Isn't Working

This is my config code

#!/bin/sh
feh --bg-scale /home/jj/.config/qtile/darksouls.jpg
qbittorrent &
#shortwave &
#gpodder &
mercury-browser &
picom & disown # --experimental-backends --vsync should prevent screen tearing on most setups if needed

# Low battery notifier
~/.config/qtile/scripts/check_battery.sh & disown

#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output DP-1 --off --output HDMI-1 --off --output HDMI-2 --mode 1920x1080 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal

# Start welcome
#eos-welcome & disown

/usr/lib/polkit-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 & disown # start polkit agent from GNOME

I use an autostart file. I’m not sure if wallpapers in config.py is the correct method.

In config.py try:

import os
import subprocess

from libqtile import hook

@hook.subscribe.startup_once
def autostart():
    script = os.path.expanduser("~/.config/qtile/autostart.sh")
    subprocess.run([script])

And in the autostart file:

#!/bin/sh
feh --bg-scale /home/jj/.config/qtile/darksouls.jpg &

Then reload your Qtile config or log out and log back in.

1 Like

Turns out that the wallpaper HAS to be in png format, otherwise it won’t work. This solved the issue for me. An alternative solution would be to install vanity (an application for showing/switching wallpapers) and add it to run on startup.

That’s not accurate at all. You can use jpg/jpeg images. It’s possible that the name of your images was the issue, like a weird character, spaces in the filename, etc., or something else. But is certainly not because it wasn’t a PNG file. Unless there is some new update I am unaware of.

Either way, your wallpaper is working now. So, good job getting it to work.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.