My perfect Linux setup: Yoga Slim 7 Pro (AMD Ryzen7-5800H) running EndeavourOS Gnome 40 in Wayland mode

I’m very happy with my latest Linux setup: Yoga Slim 7 Pro (AMD Ryzen7-5800H) running EndeavourOS Gnome 40 in Wayland mode.

• Btrfs
  • ZRAM with zstd compression
  • Timeshift with autosnap for upgrading system
  • Pipewire replacing PulseAudio
  • AMDGPU with auto brightness

Screenshot from 2021-07-15 12-54-17

10 Likes

> perfect
> GNOME

Have you tried Plasma? :wink:

2 Likes

I did tried Garuda KDE for a while. It’s quite nice and ran pretty smoothly. But now I prefer Gnome more because it takes me less time to configure (because it has less options). The most important factor is that Gnome doesn’t need to reboot if changing scaling rate. This allows me to connect to different external monitors with ease.

1 Like

Me sticking with XFCE cause I can copy the .config/xfce4 folder to restore config :relieved: :grin:

Btw Gnome looks cool :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

KDE would be really awesome. :wink:

Edit: KDE on EOS is superb!

1 Like

KDE can be customized to extreme. But it’s quite troublesome if the display scale is not 100%. A lot of themes don’t work well.

By the way, I do have a problem with my setup. I use rEFInd because of multi-boot. Previously I used os_endeavouros.png as icon name and it worked well. But now it no longer works. Do you have any idea?

1 Like

I have muti boot using rEFInd also. I have triple boot EOS with Xfce, Cinnamon and KDE. What exactly do you have for multiboot?

Edit: Which OS do you have rEFInd installed on?

Right now I have Win10/PopOS/EOS-Gnome. But I’ve tried Manjaro, Garuda, Kubuntu, Mint and Arch. I install rEFInd on every distro. They all can have icon displayed in boot screen, except EOS. Some distros like Garuda and PopOS also need me to prepare my own icons with proper name.

You only need to install rEFInd on one of the OS. I have mine installed on Eos Xfce and then you just add the other icons needed for the other OS. So you could install it on Eos Gnome.

yay refind

I use #1

Then install

refind-install

then add the eos icon

sudo cp /usr/share/endeavouros/EndeavourOS-icon.png /boot/efi/EFI/refind/icons/os_endeavourOS.png

Win10 Icon should already be there but you will have to add PopOS as it isn’t in the icon folder in refind.

Edit1: You put the icons for the other os such as PopOS only in the icon folder in refind on the os you have it installed to such as Gnome.

/boot/efi/EFI/refind/icons/

Edit: Keep in mind that rEFInd is a boot manager not a boot loader. It still uses either grubx64.efi to boot or the vmlinuz-linux image to boot. You can set it up either way. If you want to boot from the image then you have to copy the image to a different location and name it differently. I use the grubx.64.efi on mine. I also have it separated so that each OS in linux has it’s own grub without the other os entries. So to boot from one os to another is all done via rEFInd with the icons…

Edit2: Keep in mind after installing rEFInd you have to go ito your UEFI Bios and set to boot from rEFInd.

@bob418
Hopefully this makes sense to you. If not let me know. As i say i have all EOS on mine with different desktops. So what i do is add the EOS icon for the first one which i have rEFInd installed and that is Xfce. Then in the two other desktop installs of EOS i add a folder with the same name as i make the icon png file and inside the folder i copy the grubx64.efi.

So on my cinnamon i have folder name EnOSc and the icon is named OS_EnOSc.png for Cinnamon
In my KDE i have folder named EnOSp and the icon is name OS_EnOSp.png for KDE Plasma
Inside the folders i copy the grubx64.efi

Edit2: I do this so i can have a different icon for each desktop so as not to all be the EOS icon.

Edit3: Don’t forget there is a wiki also for rEFInd thanks to @freebird54

Thanks for your guide which helps me understand more regarding rEFInd concept and options. I usually bypass all the grub options and let rEFInd scan partitions instead. The grub option for EOS can display the icon correctly, but the partition-scanning way cannot. Other distros don’t have the problems. For each OS, I only want 1 entry in rEFInd. So for EOS, I’ll use grub option and skip the partition-scanning.

I’m not the expert on rEFInd. I just hide the entries that i don’t use. One is the grubx64.efi and the other is the vmlinuz-linux image file. You can set it up to boot from either but if booting with vmlinuz-linux image you have to name the icon with this and put the copy of it in the folder where the vmlinuz-linux image is.

If you look at the case studies in the wiki it explains more. It is hard to wrap your head around it for sure. Took me a while and i just know how to use it the way I’m using it

1 Like

Thank you! I read the case studies and copied the image to /boot and named it as vmlinuz-linux.png. It now works perfectly. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Very nice setup

Did you also have more than one panel.
I just reinstalled EOS and put back the xfce confs.
Hotkeys, theme and icons are working.

I am not sure where to look at to bring up the panels back.
At some forums they talk about editing the .desktops files.

Not a big thing as i set it up quickly, but would be nice to know.

ps i also used genmon scripts. They are back in location too.

After bad experience with Manjaro KDE since Plasma 5.20, I haven’t used KDE for quite some months. But after reading your post, I decided to try the latest EOS KDE. You’re right, it’s superb and really enjoyable. I never thought it can perform so well on my HiDPI screen.

Screenshot_20210716_232421

2 Likes

Panel settings should be in the folder ~/.config/xfce4/panel . So restoring the xfce4 folder should restore panel settings

What???

It doesn’t get any better than KDE! Especially if the resolution is not 4K and thus no doubling is required.

Thanks. I know this. The problem is KDE requires reboot with every change of the scaling rate. This makes working with different external monitors troublesome.

I was going to say I just my laptop with a 32" 3k monitor and my 50" 4k TV, and I don’t have to reboot?? After the first setup I just plug and play. . . Interesting. @bob418 something sounds suspect there - I believe you can change the scaling on each monitor so you don’t have to do that. But if GNOME works for you, that’s awesome! KDE is my favorite, oddly enough for the same reasons you don’t use it hahaha.

I guess that’s Linux though.

1 Like