My new Framework Laptop came and I love every inch of its existence

Did you ever get it to boot off of an EndeavorOS installation media? I just tried yesterday and today and couldn’t get it to work.

Yeah me neither…

It was secureboot wasn’t it

Bingo. Did it work for you too?

Looks like a nice laptop. My only complaint is i want Ryzen hardware not Intel. I like the fact they even include the screw driver for repairs. I priced a System 76 Pangolin to compare and it’s close. They both are more expensive than some other laptops i can get here but not outrageous. I also priced it without Windows so it would be a little more. I think if i was in the market i would give it a try.

True. Also I understand why, but no option for dGPU and no option for other keyboard layouts it’s a no no for me. The concept is very interesting, will watching how they evolve!

Ryzen 6000, intel Alderlake, Arm, and maybe even risc-v chips sets are confirmed to release as soon as they are available.
My plan is to get the alderlake or Ryzen model ASAP and use theone I already have to make an ultraslim PC that can integrate inside my much keyboard

1 Like

dGPU for such a small formfactor?

Other layouts are in the Marketplace. I’ll be getting the Korean version when it releases.

Yes.

Nice. When I installed with BTRFS, it complained about a missing key file, and the Plasma UI was missing except for the cursor and the welcome window. I reinstalled with ext4 and everything was fine. It could just be a coincidence, and BTRFS had nothing to do with it. Not sure though. What was your experience?

I didn’t do the btrfs. Just default gnome install. Everything seems to work but had to install lib-fprintd

1 Like

Well I was thinking more of having another form factor with the possibility to have a dGPU. Hope they do well and had something else. Really like the concept

Hi SuppaMan

I wanted to ask if you still use the framework laptop and if your conclusion has changed?
When my notebook is up for swap, I’m thinking of switching to a framework, I think it’s a great idea.

If anything, it’s a more exciting time to purchase a Framework than ever; they just released the Framework 13, which (in addition to the latest offering from Intel) offers an AMD option for the first time.

People who want to upgrade can throw a new mainboard in their existing Framework laptop, and convert the old one to a server of some kind by tossing into one of these cases Cooler Master started making for them: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/mainboard-case/framework/

Also, if you wait a few months they have the Framework 16 in the pipeline. It is a few inches larger and has a bunch of interesting features like a modular keyboard (have a numpad, or not!) and a special interface on the back for installing a GPU, or potentially other stuff like extra SSDs or another battery.

The clickbait headline is a bit cringe-inducing, but if you can get past that LTT put together a preview video to go over a few features for the 16:

3 Likes

Unfortunately, it does not say what kind of processor it is, but the Intel 13 series is already very strong in the benchmark, so it would be very interesting to know which AMD processor is installed there.

yes this one is interesting too, currently i have a 15" notebook and would hate to downsize, let’s see how the dimensions and weight of the 16" version will be.

Currently, it would rather be an i5-1340P that already has 20k benchmark points and is thus almost twice as strong as my current processor.

If you click the link as if you are starting a preorder there is more information:

Mainboard (AMD Ryzen™ 7040 Series)

New for:7040 Series

Available in two processor options: Ryzen™ 5 and Ryzen™ 7

Same with the Intel, although they have three options (the i5, and two different i7 options).

I’m very interested to see what options are announced for the GPU. I’d pass on an Nvidia option myself, but I’m sure there would be interest. An AMD option seems like a no-brainer. Who knows, maybe Intel will whip up a compatible version of the ARC as well.

2 Likes

ok if i have now found out the correct version, the amd is already a good deal stronger

Twice the TDP though. :grimacing:

Don’t forget, there is another i7 available for this model (1370P). If you are only concerned with how powerful the CPU is, that one you have pictured is the lesser of the two.

The Intel Core i7-1370P has 14 CPU cores and can calculate 20 threads in parallel. The clock frequency of the Intel Core i7-1370P is 1.90 GHz (5.20 GHz). The number of CPU cores greatly affects the speed of the processor and is an important performance indicator.

CPU Cores / Threads: 14 / 20
Core architecture: hybrid (big.LITTLE)
A-Core: 6x Raptor Cove
B-Core: 8x Gracemont
Hyperthreading / SMT: Yes
Overclocking: No
A-Core Frequency: 1.90 GHz (5.20 GHz)
B-Core Frequency: 1.30 GHz (3.90 GHz)

A Year late but I’m still holding on to it! Looking to upgrade to the Ryzen model. Already have it preordered!

4 Likes