My laptop is completely bricked; it cannot shutdown, or use keyboard

I’ve had EOS installed alongside windows 11 on my 2021 Acer Swift X (sfx14g) laptop for a couple years. I use GNOME with very minimal modifications to default settings. A couple months ago I setup a swap partition for hibernation. It has worked perfectly fine since then.

Today, I closed the lid like any other time to take my laptop with me, and not even 15 minutes later when I opened it again, all it displayed was this screen:

Nothing on the keyboard does anything, (except for fn+f6, which just blacks out the display) and I cannot hold the power button to shut it down. Nothing on this screen changes or has changed for the last 30 minutes. If I close the lid, the screen blacks out as well until it’s opened again, and the screen comes back. I can also hear the fan faintly spinning. I also tried plugging in a usb stick that has my EOS install, and it changed nothing. I don’t have the charging cable on me at the moment but I will update later what happens when I plug it into power.

Update: still don’t have charging cable but it’s pretty warm. Don’t know why

Update: The battery ran out and it finally shut off. After plugging it back in and turning it on, (currently powered off now) everything was back to normal. I really don’t want this happening again, so can someone help explain what happened and what I should do? Also, how and where do I get system logs that might give more insight as to what happened?

I assume this screen has something to do with the kernel, but I am not proficient in the linux kernel or system basically at all, so I’m not sure what I’m looking at. I googled for a while, looking for similar issues, but everything I found either matched (partially) what my laptop was showing but had no solution, or didn’t apply to my situation.

What even happened and what do I do?

Just did a quick internet search, and it seems that a) the power-button-hold method is not reliable on that device, but b) there should be a pinhole on the bottom to physically disconnect the battery.

Push a paperclip into the pinhole for a few seconds to hit a switch that resets the battery and - hopefully - forces a power-off. You may need the power cord to reconnect after the reset to trigger a restart.

PS: No personal experience, this is what the intertubes say. Good luck.

Thank you, will try this and update.

1 Like

Update: The battery ran out and it finally shut off. After plugging it back in and turning it on, (currently powered off now) everything was back to normal. I really don’t want this happening again, so can someone help explain what happened and what I should do? Also, how and where do I get system logs that might give more insight as to what happened?

My Gnome install did the same thing twice now but I was able to shut down by holding the power button. Strange enough it booted normal afterwards. Both times it happen to me was when there was a lunix kernel update. Also strange was that REISUB would not work on the freeze but works anytime after the freeze. I never really looked into it as it’s just on my test rig.

In my other update, when the battery died and I restarted it, it worked completely fine. Today, it happened again, but this time was worse because instead of freezing on some weird kernel screen, it just froze on the desktop, and the fans were blasting and it was getting very warm. I turned it off through the battery pinhole on the bottom. What the hell is happening? This is frustrating, and I have not seen anything like this online.

Should be worth looking into the logs. journalctl -b-1 shows the last boot, try to figure out what happened before the lockup by looking at the end of the log.

Maybe this helps?

1 Like

NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 3050Ti

There are issues regarding the proprietary Nvidia drivers/modules, people reporting kernel crashes/segfaults panics too … i had similar condition too where ddcutils was involved in relation to nvidia drivers.

It was not happening if i was going to remove nvidia drivers and modules.

But this issue seems to be resolved at least partly… make sure system is up to date, and check if the same happens when running LTS kernel. (ask if you need more info)

It just occurred to me that a laptop on which I recently installed EOS is having the same issues, but using nouveau. It’s jarring :unamused:

I ran an update, will give it a few days doing what I had been, and see if it happens again.

yea newer Nvidia devices do not play well on the default nouveau modules/driver, but i am very exited about NVK.

aur/vulkan-nouveau-git 24.0.branchpoint.r4611.g702f40f-1 (+9 2.16) 
    Nouveau Vulkan (NVK) Mesa driver with some additions (Git version)

it’s a laptop from 2016, not exactly cutting edge :smiley:
also, the frequent crashes gave me the chance to discover for the first time that EOS doesn’t have an option to straight up boot into terminal (yeah I know about the “E” option, but I miss the good ol’ ways).
“In a optimal system, reinstalling should never be faster than troubleshooting”.

good point, sometimes hard from the perspective to see the need for something like this, but could be a nice option to set indeed. At least Novideo users could make use of it.

Final update: since it’s been about a week with no further troubles, I’ll mark this as resolved. All that seemed to fix it was a system update, leading me to believe, as others have mentioned, that this was caused by something to do with Nvidia drivers. I just wish I understood what was happening. Thanks for the help!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.