My Experience: BTRFS (no Baloo, KDE Plasma)

Or you can run it using English language in terminal.

LANG=C pdfgrep -r 'search words' /home/limo/Koofr/

Well, it has been working fine with me since then!
I did not find any problem. It is OK with me to have all menus, displays, dates, clock… whatever in English. I added my local language to the keyboard and it is ok.

You know your system the best.

If you’re happy with it, I’m happy with it, too. :man_shrugging:

Or at least not sufficiently unhappy with it to discuss the downsides of setting LC_ALL for the entire interactive shell session with you in a thread that has nothing to do with it.

1 Like

Unfortunately! I prefer open source software of course.

I have Adobe Cloud app on my iPad and iPhone… it is doing exactly what I need and searches ALL files for the word or phrase and returns a list of files.

Is there any other open source alternative that can do the same? (I will search and see)

I found a few at alternativeto

I will do my homework and see which is better.

I will look at the thread later and seek a better solution/configuration.

Maybe if someone knows how Dolpin/KDE searches .txt and .html maybe there is a way to add PDF! Maybe there is an addon/plugin.

Any way I am looking at PDF readers that can do the job!

I really cannot see the problem people have with Baloo, but I must go, the nurse is here with my medication.

Real answer:

First thing I turn off on a fresh install, regardless of filesystem :smiley:

2 Likes

scream_72

1 Like

First of all I hope you will be in good health!
Second, β€œI” as one of the people have no problem at all with Baloo. On the contrary I mentioned many times I love it. For me it is perfect but on EXT4.

It is Baloo who is having problems with BTRFS:

• it keeps indexing same files with each snapshot.
  • so machine is always busy indexing the new snapshot as if they were an aditional coppy of the same file.
  • so, searching for a unique file with a unique word or phrase returns in Dolphin multiple results all pointing to the same file (1+number of snapshots). So if i have 10 files (that has the word ABRACADABRA) and 10 snapshots, I will get 101 search results for 10 files. It is another task to filter out unique individual 10 files out of 101 results.

Oooops… Any alternative you suggest for iPad and iPhone? :astonished:

MEGA client is Open Source that supports Android, Linux, MacOS and Windows. It uses EE2E (End to end encryption) by default.

But it does not harm you even if you do not trust it, because it is not a weapon. :wink:

If it is https://mega.io/ I already have an account.
I will see how is it with PDF collections.

Well… I do not trust it. This is why I am using it for PDF books I download from the internet.
Not a single personal document even if it is not sensitive or whatever. Absolutely nothing that even just identifies me in any way.

I want to share with you where I get some of my books https://www.pdfdrive.com/
I hope I am contributing something useful.

Just to share again
Tellico seems interesting for me, in general and you can look at its manual.

Now, back to the main topic about BTRFS.
I have done as I said in my first post a fresh install, disabled Baloo, updated added a few text files then later all my data, updated the system, rebooted a few times.

As I mentioned I noticed Baloo returned more than one search result, which indicates a snapshot was taken.

• How is that while I did not install (or manually run) Snapper or TimeShift?
  • Should I install Snapper or TimeShift? (which is better?) I mainly care about booting from a previously working snapshot from Grub in case something breaks.
  • Why, if a snapshot was taken (multiple results) I only see the default options in Grub and no snapshots?

Any clarification is highly appreciated.

I haven’t done much searching via terminal, but could potentially speed up finding an opening files depending on your workflow. I found this neat mini tutorial, also gives other infos on Linux.

But find can not search content of file. recoll and baloo can.

1 Like

Try to clean cache of baloo after disable baloo

balooctl disable
balooctl purge

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO

I keep explaining this to you but you seem to be ignoring me. The baloo issue is not caused by snapshots.

It is a fundamental design flaw in the way baloo is designed.

4 Likes

1 Like

Definitely I am not ignoring you, maybe my understanding or I did not express in a technically correct way.
I understand it is a bug in Baloo not in BTRFS as you said:

I just did not know how to express it in correct β€œtechnical” expression.

As far as I know Recoll has no problem with BTRFS, so it is not BTRFS, it is Baloo.

Please consider I am not that techie so maybe I did not say it the right way.
And PLEEEEEASE dont ever think I ignore you. How could I?
Thank you.