Mutt Cannot Send mail

I try to send mail with mutt.

TLSv1.3 connection using TLSv1.3 (TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384)[SASL-XOAUTH2] - Requesting authID![SASL-XOAUTH2] - Requesting token
![SASL-XOAUTH2] - _plug_get_simple FAILED
No authenticators available

I have two installations of arch based linux, one is Antergos - which works and the other is Endeavour - which does not work. I’ve copied the entire folder of ~/.mutt from the working Antergos computer to the Endeavour computer (same user name), checked the files - same myusername:users ownership. Same error. Cannot send mail with Endeavour.

I seem to have all the oauth2 files in both computers, but I still can not send mail.

I ssh into my other computer to send mail as a work around.

I can read mail fine.

Part of my muttrc file:

That’s some of my muttrc file. I cannot post the whole thing because the forum reports new members cannot post more than two URL’s.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

David

Hi,
I’m not a mutt master, and I don’t have google account, but I just did clean test config for my mail and it works without any problems, but I also don’t use oauth.

I’d play a little with security settings: do you have to use smtps? Is it google policy to use deprecated protocol? Maybe try smtp with STARTTLS if gmail is supporting it?

Here’s what I found:

1 Like

Hello patryk,

I copied my entire .mutt folder (where all mutt related files reside.) from a working Antergos computer.

I run mutt, I get this error.

TLSv1.3 connection using TLSv1.3 (TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384)[SASL-XOAUTH2] - Requesting authID![SASL-X
OAUTH2] - Requesting token
![SASL-XOAUTH2] - _plug_get_simple FAILED
No authenticators available

I install Slackware on my computer, and copy the same folder to my home folder. It works.
I install Manjaro based on Arch and copy the same folder to my home folder. It works.

So I have one Arch based (Manjaro) distro and it works. I have one Slackware distro and it works.

But on endeavouros OS it does not work.

I also installed an old copy of Bridge Linux based on Arch, it works.

There must be some file that endeavouros is not supplying.

I don’t want to install Arch again because the installation is tedious but I’ve done it many times. Too many times.

Anyone else?

David

Unfortunately if I cannot use mutt, I’ll have to install some other distro and this one seems good. I had NO problem also with Antergos. Mutt worked perfectly.

Thanks,

djringjr

Have you looked in the Archwiki, besides theming, Firefox and yay we are providing a vanilla Arch XFCE.

Hi,
one thing that came to my mind is that myabe those other distros are on different Desktop Environments and installing them supplies some extra dependency?

Hi Patryk,

Here’s what I’ve done.

I reinstalled endeavouros again and installed mutt and abook (address book for mutt). I’m using the same /home partition as I was before.

mutt still won’t authenticate and send mail.

I install 4.19.28-1-MANJARO KDE and install mutt and abook.

Using the same muttrc configuration file, I start mutt, it receives mail, and then I try to send mail.

I can send mail.

Mutt works in Manjaro, Slackware, Antergos but not in endeavouros.

I have a list of applications that I had in Antergos where mutt worked, and I installed them, I could install with pacman from the list, but I manually had to install from the list the applications that were from AUR.

It’s really puzzling.

I’m running KDE on Manjaro at the present moment, and I had EndeavourOS with KDE also.

But mutt won’t send mail - using gmail’s IMAP - no fetchmail or anything like that, just directly contacting gmail’s IMAP servers and downloading to my ~/.mutt folder.

If there’s anything I can do for you - maybe you’re not installing one or two of the core packages. I don’t know.

I wish there was a script where I could make a list of packages that I have in Manjaro and use it to install the very same packages in EndeavourOS. I can do that with pacman but not for packages in AUR.

Right now I don’t have any packages from AUR but mutt is working fine - but it’s Manjaro and not EndeavourOS. :frowning:

Best wishes,

David
djringjr

pacman -Qm > aurpkg.txt
should make you a nice list of aur packages (foreign pkg). So if something is installed manually it will also be listed here.

How can I help you find out what CORE package isn’t being installed with Endeavouros?

I can install the console only installation in Antergos and mutt and the authentication works, same with Manjaro, and Slint based on Slackware ( built for blind people ). It also works with Debian.

It just doesn’t work on EndeavourOS. I cannot send mail but I can receive mail. I don’t want to use imapmail or fetchmail, I just want to access the gmail IMAP servers directly I use this line to do that:

set smtp_url = “smtp://username@smtp.gmail.com:587/”

Every other Linux distro I’ve tried, my configuration works.

These are the aur packages I have in Manjaro at the current time:
phonon-qt4 4.10.2-5
python-notify2 0.3.1-2
python-sip-pyqt4 4.19.16-2
python2-sip-pyqt4 4.19.16-2

I had to install them to get hplip (HP Printer) software to work.

Can I help you find out why this doesn’t work? I’d like to run endeavouOS but no mutt is a deal breaker.

Best wishes,

David

Ok - so this is what I would try to do.

Remove everything related to mutt (configs).

Install mutt - by following the steps in Arch wiki. IIRC there’s only 5-6 small steps to get a working mutt. When it works for you - then copy over your configs. YOu now have a working mutt with your configs :wink:

It’ll take you 10-15 mins max.

btw - mutt or neomutt?

I’m using mutt.

I have followed the Arch Wiki.

I am using the same configuration folders in EndeavourOS that I have for Debian, Arch, Antergos, Slackware, and Manjaro (which I installed because EndeavourOS won’t work with mutt). I want to use EndeavourOS not Manjaro.

Why not try it, penguin007? Do you have a gmail account? mutt is compiled with built in IMAP support - so says the Arch Wiki.

Install mutt, and use this - change the applicable parts to your account - and use this code as your muttrc file. You need to save it either as ~/.muttrc or as ~/.mutt/muttrc (unhidden file in a hidden folder).

set editor=`echo \$EDITOR`

set folder      = imaps://imap.gmail.com/
set imap_user   = your.username@gmail.com
set imap_pass   = your-imap-password
set spoolfile   = +INBOX
mailboxes       = +INBOX

# Store message headers locally to speed things up.
# If hcache is a folder, Mutt will create sub cache folders for each account which may speeds things up even more.
set header_cache = ~/.cache/mutt

# Store messages locally to speed things up, like searching message bodies.
# Can be the same folder as header_cache.
# This will cost important disk usage according to your e-mail amount.
set message_cachedir = "~/.cache/mutt"

# Specify where to save and/or look for postponed messages.
set postponed = +[Gmail]/Drafts

# Allow Mutt to open a new IMAP connection automatically.
unset imap_passive

# Keep the IMAP connection alive by polling intermittently (time in seconds).
set imap_keepalive = 300

# How often to check for new mail (time in seconds).
set mail_check = 120

You should add this line to the muttrc above.

set from = your.username@gmail.com

Sorry - was going to test this myself, but as I’m without a phone atm, I was not able to get a gmail account.

Hello Penguin007,

Just go to google.com and log in.

If you’ve lost your account name, or just want to check to see if you made a google account years ago, enter your regular password here. It doesn’t have to be a google email account, I have a google account for my AOL email address. Go HERE and enter several of your email accounts and/or your cell phone numbers to see if you have an account that you’ve forgotten about. I had one that had the old requirement of six character password it was so old.

If you don’t have a google account, go to this link HERE.

This will allow you to sign up for a google account. For a password, use 8 or more characters with a mix of letters, numbers & symbols.

Then log in and go to gmail.com. It will just ask you if it’s for home or personal - say it’s personal and a gmail account will automatically be signed up.

Here is a template for a muttrc file that you can change that uses mutt’s native IMAP support.

# ~/.mutt/muttrc
set folder = imaps://imap.gmail.com/
#set smtp_url = "smtps://your-gmail-address@gmail.com@smtp.gmail.com:587/" 
set smtp_url = "smtps://your-gmail-address@gmail.com@smtp.gmail.com:465/"
set imap_user = your-gmail-address@gmail.com
set imap_pass = your-gmail-password
set smtp_pass = your-gmail-password
set spoolfile = +INBOX
mailboxes = +INBOX
set from = your-gmail-address@gmail.com
set realname = "your-real-name"

# abook 
set query_command= "abook --mutt-query '%s'"
macro index,pager  a "<pipe-message>abook --add-email-quiet<return>" "Add this sender to Abook"
bind editor        <Tab> complete-query

# Store message headers locally to speed things up.
# If hcache is a folder, Mutt will create sub cache folders for each account which may speeds things up even more.

set header_cache = ~/.cache/mutt

# Store messages locally to speed things up, like searching message bodies.
# Can be the same folder as header_cache.
# This will cost important disk usage according to your e-mail amount.
set message_cachedir = "~/.cache/mutt"

# Specify where to save and/or look for postponed messages.
set postponed = +[Gmail]/Drafts

# Allow Mutt to open a new IMAP connection automatically.
unset imap_passive

# Keep the IMAP connection alive by polling intermittently (time in seconds).

set imap_keepalive = 300

# How often to check for new mail (time in seconds).

set mail_check = 120

You will see that for some strange (very strange) reason mutt will not work.

It will work on Antergos, Manjaro, Arch, Slackware and Debian.

I’ve made lists of packages installed but it seems that there is something that the other distros install but for some reason was not installed in EndeavourOS.

I just thought of a possible work around: force reinstalling core.

I’ve installed EndeavourOS twice to prove to myself it didn’t work, I’ve installed Manjaro and mutt works perfectly, and I had been running Antergos and mutt works perfectly.

Unfortunately for me, it is just giving a log in error - but it’s not a log in problem, everything is correct (otherwise it would not work with the same /home folder for the other distros.

If you give me a task I’ll gladly do it.

The best thing would be to have a script that can take a package list and install it, I have one but it includes AUR packages too and it’s a lot of work to uninstall those AUR packages over and over again.

I’ll keep on working with this, I’m sure it doesn’t work but I don’t know why.

Regards,

djringjr

1 Like

Great news. I downloaded and used the new ISO and I cannot explain it, but now mutt works.

I know this was crazy but whatever was going on was fixed.

This is the first problem I ever had that I didn’t solve but the new ISO solved it for me.

Great now I can join the endeavouros community!

Thanks,

David

2 Likes

are you using vim or nano for mutt?

I use nano because I seem to remember the key combinations better. I’ve made my visual and regular $EDITOR nano.

I also use emacs / emacspeak but it does so much I barely have cracked the surface but it’s amazing.

Thanks Dr. Joe. Right now I am listening to my Logitech Squeezebox Boom - works nicely with Linux.

Be well,
David

Wow, didn’t expect that… Glad you made it though :slight_smile: