Multiple Steam Proton Games no Longer Launching

Multiple proton games such as Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition and Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links no longer work since Sunday. Some others like Everquest 2 still work just fine. I found that deleting the compatdata and uninstalling the game does fix the issue, but that takes a while for every game. Yesterday I reinstalled FFXIV, but even at 70MB/S it still took me a good 30 minutes. Is there simpler fix for this?

Here are some logs:

uildCompleteAppOverviewChange: 642
RegisterForAppOverview 1: 21ms
RegisterForAppOverview 2: 21ms
[0818/161107.299499:ERROR:frame_sink_video_capturer_impl.cc(206)] Invalid resolutions constraints: 0x0 must not be greater than 0x0; and also within media::limits.
ExecuteSteamURL: “steam://nav/games”
[601510]Non-Steam Controller Configs Enabled: 1
Opted-in Controller Mask for AppId 601510: 2
Loaded Config for Local Selection Path for App ID 601510, Controller 0: /home/zangoku/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/workshop/content/241100/1222256476/861741153377616236_legacy.bin
GameAction [AppID 601510, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to ProcessingInstallScript with “”
Proton: Upgrading prefix from 6.10-GE-1 to 6.3-3 (/run/media/Gamez/SteamLibrary/steamapps/compatdata/601510/)
Proton: Prefix has an invalid version?! You may want to back up user files and delete this prefix.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/run/media/Gamez/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Proton 6.3/proton”, line 1031, in
g_session.init_session(sys.argv[1] != “runinprefix”)
File “/run/media/Gamez/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Proton 6.3/proton”, line 860, in init_session
g_compatdata.setup_prefix()
File “/run/media/Gamez/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Proton 6.3/proton”, line 543, in setup_prefix
self.update_builtin_libs(builtin_dll_copy)
File “/run/media/Gamez/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Proton 6.3/proton”, line 420, in update_builtin_libs
os.makedirs(dst_dir)
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/os.py”, line 221, in makedirs
mkdir(name, mode)
FileExistsError: [Errno 17] File exists: ‘/run/media/Gamez/SteamLibrary/steamapps/compatdata/601510/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/My Documents’
GameAction [AppID 601510, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to ProcessingShaderCache with “”
Fossilize INFO: Autogroup scheduling is not enabled on this kernel. Will rely entirely on nice().
GameAction [AppID 601510, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to SiteLicenseSeatCheckout with “”
GameAction [AppID 601510, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to CreatingProcess with “”
GameAction [AppID 601510, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp waiting for user response to CreatingProcess “”
GameAction [AppID 601510, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp continues with user response “CreatingProcess”
/bin/sh\0-c\0/home/zangoku/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=601510 – ‘/home/zangoku/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier’/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun – ‘/run/media/Gamez/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Proton 6.3’/proton waitforexitandrun ‘/run/media/Gamez/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links/dlpc.exe’\0
Game update: AppID 601510 “”, ProcID 114574, IP 0.0.0.0:0
ERROR: ld.so: object ‘/home/zangoku/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so’ from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object ‘/home/zangoku/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so’ from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object ‘/home/zangoku/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so’ from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
Starting app 601510
Loaded Config for Local Selection Path for App ID 601510, Controller 0: /home/zangoku/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/workshop/content/241100/1222256476/861741153377616236_legacy.bin

Adding process 114574 for game ID 601510
GameAction [AppID 601510, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with “”
pid 114578 != 114575, skipping destruction (fork without exec?)
GameAction [AppID 601510, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with “”
Adding process 114575 for game ID 601510
Adding process 114576 for game ID 601510
Adding process 114886 for game ID 601510
Proton: Upgrading prefix from 6.10-GE-1 to 6.3-3 (/run/media/Gamez/SteamLibrary/steamapps/compatdata/601510/)
Proton: Prefix has an invalid version?! You may want to back up user files and delete this prefix.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/run/media/Gamez/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Proton 6.3/proton”, line 1031, in
g_session.init_session(sys.argv[1] != “runinprefix”)
File “/run/media/Gamez/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Proton 6.3/proton”, line 860, in init_session
g_compatdata.setup_prefix()
File “/run/media/Gamez/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Proton 6.3/proton”, line 543, in setup_prefix
self.update_builtin_libs(builtin_dll_copy)
File “/run/media/Gamez/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Proton 6.3/proton”, line 420, in update_builtin_libs
os.makedirs(dst_dir)
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/os.py”, line 221, in makedirs
mkdir(name, mode)
FileExistsError: [Errno 17] File exists: ‘/run/media/Gamez/SteamLibrary/steamapps/compatdata/601510/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/My Documents’
Game removed: AppID 601510 “”, ProcID 114574
Uploaded AppInterfaceStats to Steam
Exiting app 601510

I’m going to guess that you updated proton-ge-custom-bin and when you launched Steam it removed the setting as the old version vanished. Then, because you didn’t re-set the Steam Play compatibility settings, it’s updating the prefix with Proton 6.3 instead, which breaks the prefix, and then the game doesn’t launch.

Assuming you set Proton-GE as a default somewhere, the solution would likely be to re-set that setting.

Or, as you say, remove the old prefixes from steamapps/compatdata/ and let Steam recreate them (which probably isn’t a bad idea generally when there’s a larger update to Proton, with exceptions of course).

There was indeed a new proton-ge-custom-bin update. I usually have no problem with updates and swapping between various proton versions. I still had the issue after wiping the prefix and had to completely uninstall which are the files located at steamapps/common/<game name>/.

1 Like

If I remember correctly, there were some bigger changes with 6.14.

I know that GE 6.14 moves various files and symlinks under pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser and can end up symlinking a symlink to the original symlink (nice and circular), which even ends up breaking some file managers when then try to display the prefix directory.

The easiest way forward I’ve found so far is to move the steamuser directory out of the way and let Proton re-create it, then put any data back into place afterwards.

1 Like

That definitely sounds like it, it seems to be recent 6.x not just 6.14. One of my games mentioned 6.10 and another 6.12 in the logs.

compadata have been know to get broken between versions of Glorious Egg roll’s protons. ( I hang out on the discord ).

I strongly suggest setting the latest Steam Proton as your default and only using GE proton when it’s absolutely necessary. Also checking the release notes for them is definitely advisable.

2 Likes