Multiple options when I try to install some packages

Hi friends.

Sometimes when I install some packages, I am given several installation options to choose from, but I don’t know how I can see how each of them is different.

This is the case of jdownloader 2 from the aur repositories:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/jdownloader2

When I install it with yay -S jdownloader2, it asks me which of these 5 jdownloader 2 options I want to install:

1) jdk-openjdk
2) jre-openjdk
3) jre11-openjdk
4) jre17-openjdk
5) jre8-openjdk

(As you can see, some of them are called “jdk” and others “jre”, and they have a number, which I must assume is the version of the package. I searched on Google but I have not been able to find information about these java-based packages)

So when a program asks me this, how can I see how each version is different?

Is there a website or something where there is a description of the difference between each version?

Because installing the 5 versions and uninstalling them one by one is a bit frustrating, although it may be the only alternative.

Thanks in advance!

I don’t think there is a generic answer.

In this specific case, it requires some understanding of Java. JDK is the full development kit. JRE is the runtime. If you need to run an application you can generally use the JRE. If you are building applications you need the JDK. The JDK also includes the JRE.

As for the versions, the one without a number is generally the current version. The ones with versions are older versions.

In your case, it would be best to choose jre-openjdk unless you specifically know you need an older version of Java.

In general, the reason this happens is that a package is dependent on java. However, there are multiple packages that provide java so it lists them all and lets you choose which one you want.

4 Likes

Omg, this information is worth millions! I always thought I should download the version with the highest number or something like that

This has helped me a lot, thank you again Mr. Dalto! :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.