Multi-boot EndeavourOS wish list

Note that customcfg has not been tested with nvme disks, so it probably doesn’t work well with them.
Anyway, that menu entry I wrote there can also be used as a base and simply multiply it and change at least the UUIDs to recognize also other partitions.

I would really like to try this but not sure i can do it. How do i download the script? If you don’t think it will work then? If i have to create the menu entries where do they go? I have to create a custom.cfg file in the boot folder? I don’t even know how to do that? Do i need current grub.cfg file and modify it then save it as a custom.cfg?

Your grub.cfg shows nothing about the other systems. That’s probably because you don’t have grub installed on other systems (or os-prober is missing on EndeavourOS?).

In this case manually written entries to file /boot/grub/custom.cfg on EndeavourOS should do the trick.

Try this first! Write the following to your /boot/grub/custom.cfg on EndeavourOS:

menuentry 'EndeavourOS            kernel=linux      dev=/dev/sda2 ' {
  # UUID=e486e5d7-9646-4b71-9e82-a07dc9a6d9ae
  # LABEL=EndeavourOS
  # root partition /dev/sda2
  savedefault
  search --set --fs-uuid e486e5d7-9646-4b71-9e82-a07dc9a6d9ae  # boot partition id
  linux /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=e486e5d7-9646-4b71-9e82-a07dc9a6d9ae rw resume=UUID=ce2d2f99-4388-45d1-9418-99772582679f loglevel=3 quiet
  initrd /boot/amd-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-linux.img
}

and reboot (if you have grub installed).

I hope all UUIDs and other details are right…

Is that file there or i have to create it?

You have to create it, and need elevated privileges.
You could copy the text and use an editor to paste it.

When done, reboot, and you should see a new boot menu entry in the end. It contains most of the text on the “menuentry” line above.

I have grub installed but not os-prober or grub-tools. So after i reboot then what?

Edit: I saw a boot entry in he grub menu?

OK, you should also install os-prober. Why did you uninstall it? It is needed when grub-mkconfig detects other operating systems.
And please install grub-tools too.

So do in this exact order:

sudo pacman -Syu
sudo pacman -S grub-tools
sudo pacman -S grub os-prober
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Does your grub boot EndeavourOS at all?

It’s hanging trying run the grub-mkconfig probably because the other os do not have os-prober or grub?

Edit: should i close it out or wait? Or go install grub and or os-prober in the other os’s?

The reason for hang may be that the other systems do not have package lsb-release (or similar on some systems).

EDIT: the wait may be 10 to 15 minutes… if it works at all.
So I guess it is worth while to install lsb-release on the other systems first.

Okay it finished and found he other OS.

[ricklinux@xfce-linux ~]$ sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /boot/grub/themes/EndeavourOS/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux
Found initrd image: /boot/amd-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-linux.img
Found fallback initrd image(s) in /boot: initramfs-linux-fallback.img
Found Solus (4.1) on /dev/nvme0n1p3
Found Arch Linux on /dev/nvme1n1p2
done
[ricklinux@xfce-linux ~]$ 
1 Like

So now it is working?

Should i install anything in the others if it will even boot them?

Edit i will try right now!

How long did it take to find other systems?

Just a couple minutes.

OK, it is not bad. But it may be faster if you install lsb-release to other systems as well.

What about grub and os-prober? No?

Edit: have to see if they’ll boot first.

Well, it seemed to work now that they even when grub is not installed on other systems, right?

When you have time, please show the new /boot/grub/grub.cfg on EndeavourOS.

Okay so the entry that it first put in the grub menu which is weird boots endeavour.

Edit: It’s the bottom entry

It did pick up the Anarchy Arch but not Solus even though it said it found it.

20200404_175752

Can you show the new /boot/grub/grub.cfg on EndeavourOS?

/boot/grub/grub.cfg
http://ix.io/2gG2

The last entry in the grub menu was added when i created the custom grub file and rebooted but i didn’t have os-prober and the tools installled yet. It is the Endeavour install on an SSD.