Mounting error after installing

You have to make sure secure boot and fast boot are disabled. Secure Keys should be removed before diasabling secure boot. RST Raid function disabled and you should use AHCI mode. It helps sometimes to remove all of the existing boot entries saved in UEFI firmware using efibootmgr. If you are installing only Linux and using the whole drive it’s best to create a new GPT partition on the drive.

Why? I have never seen anyone post a reason for this advice. I have never done this on any of my Linux systems. Doesn’t disabling fast boot in the BIOS simply enable more hardware testing at boot which slows down the boot process? Unless you think faulty hardware is involved, I don’t understand where this advice comes from.

If you are dual-booting Windows, you need to disable “Fast Startup” if you are sharing data between your installs but that is not the same thing as fast boot.

I do know the difference between fast boot and fast start up on windows. I was just suggesting things to try as i don’t always know what the OP has installed or is doing exactly.

It is possible it needs vmd module on boot if it’s booting from an Intel Nvme drive added to mkinitcpio.

I have noticed that nothing really happened since I did try mounting Nvme0n and trying sdaN tells me that it is write protected. Also, I don’t know how to change the UUID. I should have mentioned this before, but I found on the Yoga Wikipedia article that

“Although it is theoretically possible to change the mode to AHCI using a suitably programmed bootable USB stick, it is not wise to attempt it because the affected models check the UEFI configuration at startup and will detect the change and refuse to boot.”

Also, @dalto, the fastboot is more of a way Windows to put the computer to a kind of hypersleep mode(?), rather than hibernation or turning it off.

That is “Fast Startup” in the windows settings, fast boot in your BIOS is different.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Lenovo_Yoga_7i

2 Likes

I saw the post talking about the problem. However, it doesn’t clearly show the process. I do not know what is supposed to be in the “rescue hard drive” either.

Have you tried adding vmd to your initramfs as suggested above?

I haven’t and it hasn’t really shown how to do so, from what I can find.

First use arch-chroot to access your install following this guide:

Next, edit the file /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and add vmd to the MODULES line.

Then run mkinitcpio -P

Exit the chroot and reboot.

@Plan_808
Are you having difficulty maybe with the arch-chroot instructions? The wiki shows only an example. If your drive was /dev/sda. If you have an nvme drive then it would be.

mount /dev/nvem0n1p2 /mnt

That is if that is the correct partition that has / where the OS is installed.

Thunar seems quite stubborn to open as root, not allowing me to edit the config file

You should edit it from within the chroot. The one inside the chroot isn’t actually at /etc

From within the chroot use the command

nano /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

After saving the file, then run

mkinitcpio -P

It all should be done from within the chroot or it won’t work properly.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.