ModemManager failing

Hello,

recently installed EndeavourOS with I3 on my work laptop, changed from Manjaro, due to broken deps to often.

trying to activate my LTE modem on the laptop i have. (is possible as Manjaro solved it out of the box)

ModemManager when started:

ModemManager[11409]: <info>  ModemManager (version 1.18.4-1) starting in system bus...
ModemManager[11409]: [qrtr] socket lookup from 1:0
ModemManager[11409]: [qrtr] initial lookup finished
ModemManager[11409]: <warn>  could not acquire the 'org.freedesktop.ModemManager1' service name
ModemManager[11409]: <info>  ModemManager is shut down

The modem can be found in mmcli -L

/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0 [Sierra Wireless, Incorporated] Sierra Wireless EM7455 Qualcomm Snapdragon X7 LTE-A

ModemManager.service located in /usr/lib/systemd/system/

[Unit]
Description=Modem Manager
After=polkit.service
Requires=polkit.service

[Service]
Type=dbus
BusName=org.freedesktop.ModemManager1
ExecStart=/usr/bin/ModemManager
StandardError=null
Restart=on-abort
CapabilityBoundingSet=CAP_SYS_ADMIN CAP_NET_ADMIN
ProtectSystem=true
ProtectHome=true
PrivateTmp=true
RestrictAddressFamilies=AF_NETLINK AF_UNIX AF_QIPCRTR
NoNewPrivileges=true
User=root

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
Alias=dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service

Not sure if this helps.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/ThinkPad_mobile_Internet

:pray: might help you .

" https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Mobile_broadband_modem#Using_mmcli "

1 Like

Not that familiar with these LTE modem. I assume it’s built in or an addon card or USB?

normal built in /add extra at purchase.

I might have missed this in the post, but what doesn’t work?

Is the service enabled and running? Arch doesn’t enable services by default (the same as its close derivatives).

1 Like

my brain gets overflow sometimes, and yes found something interesting inside the wiki post for mmcli which lead me to a solution. the Modem have FCC Locking and ModemManager have changed from including all FCC locking scripts enabled to needing to symlink only the one you need.

the solutions for my troubles can be found at the last section in https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Mobile_broadband_modem#Using_mmcli

FCC locking.

using lsusb
to find the id of the modem, and adding the correct FCClocking script for that modem with symlink command described in the arch wiki.

Thanks to all for the suggestions that lead to the solution

3 Likes

the thing that was failing was for the modem to go from disabled state to enabled state.

and the service was running, and showing me that the actual problem was not to find the modem because the service status showed modem0 but not able to enable due to invalid transition

[kristoffer@SE-ARCH-01 system]$ systemctl status ModemManager.service 
â—Ź ModemManager.service - Modem Manager
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/ModemManager.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: active (running) since Wed 2021-12-29 00:54:00 CET; 55min ago
   Main PID: 400 (ModemManager)
      Tasks: 5 (limit: 18875)
     Memory: 11.8M
        CPU: 168ms
     CGroup: /system.slice/ModemManager.service
             ├─400 /usr/bin/ModemManager
             └─514 /usr/lib/mbim-proxy

Dec 29 01:47:14 SE-ARCH-01 ModemManager[400]: <warn>  [modem0] Failure
Dec 29 01:47:14 SE-ARCH-01 ModemManager[400]: <warn>  [modem0] couldn't enable interface: 'Invalid tr>
Dec 29 01:47:14 SE-ARCH-01 ModemManager[400]: <info>  [modem0] state changed (enabling -> disabled)
Dec 29 01:47:14 SE-ARCH-01 ModemManager[400]: <info>  [modem0] simple connect started...
Dec 29 01:47:14 SE-ARCH-01 ModemManager[400]: <info>  [modem0] simple connect state (3/8): enable
Dec 29 01:47:14 SE-ARCH-01 ModemManager[400]: <info>  [modem0] state changed (disabled -> enabling)
Dec 29 01:47:14 SE-ARCH-01 ModemManager[400]: <warn>  [modem0] couldn't enable interface: 'Invalid tr>
Dec 29 01:47:14 SE-ARCH-01 ModemManager[400]: <info>  [modem0] state changed (enabling -> disabled)

that then lead me to look for something about locking or enabling in the wiki, which turned out to be FCC locking

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.