Minimal ISO

maybe a “minimal” ISO would be also interesting for all the people that have access only to low speed internet. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

impressive 322
I’ve got 500 with also the Zen Kernel installed, Sway wm, chromium and firefox. I suppose that I do not need to install something else

feel free to maintain that, we need to keep workflow as simple as we can, maintaining two ISO’S will be a lot more work to keep up and running.

But we do try that already, and with using calamares ISO will not be a lot smaller then the default one if you remove the full featured Live Environment and only have a minimal xsystem running for calamares to be shown… i try that with i3 as environment, https://github.com/endeavouros-team/ISO/releases/download/0-EndeavourOS-development-ISO-releases/endeavouros-i3-2020.10.03-x86_64.iso
This have almost the same size then the default one… on testing we can go down to around 1.4GB but that is not something i would call minimal…

To have an minimal ISO we have to go with a cli installer and then no offline install option.
What can be called minimal ISO with a size less then 1GB…

yes, you are right, it’s not really minimal

and on our current ISO you may download 1.85GB ISO but you can do offline install then, what does not need internet traffic at all…

1 Like

I always wonder when I read this request, if internet speed or limited internet is a problem, then how are you able to maintain a rolling distro with a constant flow of updates on a daily bases?

4 Likes

Poorly, would be my guess :grin: Of course, it could be a laptop, with ‘visiting’ internet access possible on weekends, for example…

1 Like

In that scenario, the ISO download wouldn’t be an issue either, you can download it during the “weekend internet”.

1 Like

you update it when you are lucky enough to get a reliable internet connection in the lobby of an Hotel :slight_smile:

With all due respect, then a user like that is better off using the Ubuntu family instead of Arch or Opensuse.

2 Likes

What if they use Ubuntu Rolling Rhino? No improvement :grin:

2 Likes