Microsoft repo installed on Raspbian

Microsoft DESTROYS Raspberry Pi OS

Microsoft PENETRATES Raspberry Pi OS

Microsoft FENESTRATES Raspberry Pi OS

4 Likes

If this is an infiltration, well, just comment the repository from “/etc/apt/sources.list.d, and no more infiltration…

pi@raspberrypi:/etc/apt/sources.list.d $ cat vscode.list 
### THIS FILE IS AUTOMATICALLY CONFIGURED ###
# You may comment out this entry, but any other modifications may be lost.
deb [arch=amd64,arm64,armhf] http://packages.microsoft.com/repos/code stable main
3 Likes

mcury EXFILTRATES Raspberry Pi OS

6 Likes

I mean someone even pointed out in the comments to that very video that Rasberry does not anywhere specify that they won’t use closed source programs.

Maybe he needs to read the fine print and chose another hardware vendor. Like Intel… Oh wait.

2 Likes

I removed it anyway.

Capture

Much cleaner than before :wink:

5 Likes

Just put EndeavourOS on it, then there is no worry - and no ducking to be done…

6 Likes

Yes, but I’m so used to Debian. I’m not running a desktop environment or anything. More a server RPi.

2 Likes

paranoia and inflammatory issues aside, I think the heart of the problem here (if there is one, which I’m not sure there is) is that the Microsoft repo was added without users knowing, so they didn’t have the opportunity to opt out.

6 Likes

I have no problem with Microsoft! Or I have, many! But I run some computers with Windows at home. That’s not the point. But you should get some info before they do something like this in my opinion. So you get a choice whether you want to or don’t want it. In my case I do not want it, my RPi is only as DNS server.

4 Likes

agreed, that’s the heart of the issue

3 Likes

Switched to Linux made a clip about this too:

3 Likes