Microsoft Edge has the EDGE in Linux

:grimacing:
https://forum.techhut.tv/t/microsoft-edge-stable-released-benchmarking/177

Some more info about it:

yay -Si microsoft-edge-stable-bin

Sweet! I’ll switch immediately then!

WARNING: Deceptive thread title.

1 Like

and here I was using Brave and thinking about trying out Vivaldi on an older spec machine lying around…then this comes along. So much choice.

I just installed it and works okay but has a lot of stuff in it i don’t like. Personally I like Chromium better out of all the chrome based browsers. But it’s okay and i could use it. Typically i use Firefox. Sure in tests Firefox may not be the fastest but it works and i like it and it’s my go to browser. Normally i have Firefox and Chromium installed. I like Chromium for the language feature to change a website to English if needed. I don’t have any issues with Firefox or Chromium for that matter when i do use it. Not going to change from Firefox. :fox_face:

5 Likes

Me neither, sticking with :fox_face: sometimes using chromium if a website doesn’t work in ff, which is rare. I use firefox to sync all my website bookmarks etc. guess too lazy or no time to export/import into another ecosystem.

2 Likes

I do not understand all this talk or focus on browser performance. I see this here and elsewhere all the time. Brave, Chrome, Vivaldi compared to Firefox. Now MS Edge.

Are you really looking for the fastest browser? What are you all doing with your browser so that you need a faster browser? Isn’t functionality, extendability and non-spying or non-tracking more important than performance?

25 Likes

This is only one aspect of many others in regard to which you could compare browsers. The other aspects could be

But obviously these haven’t been the focus of the TechHut’s Brandon in this comparison. I don’t find any more interest in it than what the test is actually about.

Well, this is 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊𝖑𝖞 𝖕𝖗𝖔𝖕𝖗𝖎𝖊𝖙𝖆𝖗𝖞! It just won’t do.

4 Likes

EXACTLY.

2 Likes

So, unrelated to browser performance, I just want to say that I truly believe there is a place for MS Edge in the Linux world. While I am happy using Firefox as my day-to-day browser, I use Edge for Linux when it comes to MS Teams meetings. There is an MS Teams client for Linux, but the client is unreliable and I always have sound issues. Simply using the browser solves this. There are other instances where MS Edge works better in a Microsoft-centric organisation than Firefox. Of course, any Chrome-based browser would probably work too. However, Edge also has the advantage of “looking familiar” to my students when giving Excel demonstrations (I use the web version of Excel). I am happy that Microsoft is releasing more and more products for Linux and I hope more people will support them in this endeavour. Linux is about choice and, for some, that choice might include Microsoft products.

1 Like

Honestly, can’t argue with you on that. While I use Vivaldi and Firefox, I can’t deny that my life is Microsoft-free, I still need certain products for work, so there’s no escaping that unfortunately. While I personally wouldn’t use the Edge browser, say outside of work for example, having it on Linux will be interesting to see how things go moving forward. Will other Microsoft products make it’s way to Linux? Will other companies start to consider making Linux native software because of Microsoft’s approach? Only time will really tell, but I am curious to see how it all plays out.

As a quick side note, I know Edge has a few different packages currently in the AUR, but does anyone know or think if Edge will ever make it into the Arch community repos or something similar?

why even to bring up such a youtube post, …why even consider using edge in Linux
… or in fact why at all ?

how does such youtube post get so many likes …? :disappointed_relieved:

do not get it :smile: … actually it is not my problem, just wondering

2 Likes

I have always found it a mystery why so many Windows users decide to use Linux distros instead, and then spend time on forums trying to find out how to make their new Linux setup more like Windows. If they were unsatisfied with Windows enough to make the change then why are they trying to achieve the same thing through a Linux distro. You are all mad in my opinion. Free your minds!

5 Likes

I know Firefox is not the fastest browser, in fact, it takes a little bit more time to start than Google Chrome or Opera, but I like that I can customize it to work as I want, so I’ll keep using it.

Options that I change and are available on other browsers:

• Show only the page I want at start
  • Install ad-blocker plugin (uBlock Origin) and get rid of ads
  • Open links in new tab instead of new window
  • Use backspace to go back in history (I can do this on Opera, but not other browsers, I didn’t find the option)

Options that I’ve only see on Firefox:

• Go to new tab imediately when I right click on a link and select “Open in a new tab”
  • Empty page for “New tabs” that doesn’t affect history, does anyone need to go back to the “New tab” page?
  • Rigth click on an image to view information
  • Do not show search results while tipying on address bar

M$ Edge could be faster, but has a lot of options that I don’t need, if I wanted to check weather, news or other integrated stuff, I would install applets or extensions instead of opening a new browser tab.

I Havent been able to tell the difference between browsers in regards to performance in over 10yrs. I really don’t understand benchmarking them, unless a browser is missing features they’re all effectively the same performance wise for daily use.

I use FF across all my devices simply for the reason I can harden it a bit better than chromium based browsers and I dont trust pretty much anything chromium except maybe bromite or ungoogled. The fact that I can block/remove so much unnecessary ad/other content from even loading also makes FF pretty damn fast.

2 Likes