Microphone gain is way too much on 100%

The title kind of explains the situation. I’m using my microphone at a volume of around 40%, because when set to anything higher, the sound it produces is a distorted mess.
The ISO I installed is Cassini Nova with Plasma desktop, but this issue was there when I used Garuda GNOME a few months ago.
This wouldn’t be a problem if my volume would keep itself at 35, but it resets to 100 when I plug my controller in or out, or even randomly sometimes.
I don’t know if it’s useful information, but on Windows I didn’t have this problem.

My device: LENOVO IdeaPad 330S-15IKB GTX1050

I’m happy to provide more information, I just don’t know what else to write.
Please help me fix this, because it’s very annoying.

Edit: Here’s the output of the 'inxi -FAZ --no-host | eos-sendlog' command: https://0x0.st/HZYD.txt

inxi -Aaz would may help to see the audio device.
And welcome at the purple side :enos:
Ah i see you are fast :wink: log was not there minute ago … i go check it…

inxi -Aaz would show more details about audio…

I bet you where using internal microphone and not one plugged to microphone jack ?
You should check alsamixer from terminal and press F6 to choos ethe intel card and F4 to select to show input channels…

Could be there are microphone channels for mic boost per example or line in and boos… you can try disable line in and or the boost channels.

1 Like

That inxi command I posted was before I read you reply. Here’s the output of inxi -Aaz:

  Device-1: Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio vendor: Lenovo
    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel alternate: snd_soc_skl,snd_soc_avs
    bus-ID: 00:1f.3 chip-ID: 8086:9d71 class-ID: 0403
  Device-2: NVIDIA GP107GL High Definition Audio vendor: Lenovo
    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel pcie: gen: 1 speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 4
    link-max: gen: 3 speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 16 bus-ID: 01:00.1
    chip-ID: 10de:0fb9 class-ID: 0403
  API: ALSA v: k6.3.1-zen1-1-zen status: kernel-api tools: alsamixer,amixer
  Server-1: PipeWire v: 0.3.70 status: active with: 1: pipewire-pulse
    status: active 2: wireplumber status: active 3: pipewire-alsa type: plugin
    4: pw-jack type: plugin tools: pactl,pw-cat,pw-cli,wpctl

And for the alsamixer stuff: After I pressed F4 there are 3 channels there: Mic Boost, Capture and Internal Mic Boost. The Internal Mic boost was set to 100%, I set it to 0, and everything was fine, but then I plugged in my controller, and it was back at 100%.

Thank you for showing me the alsamixer tool, after some googling about Internal Mic Boost resetting I found this article:

After doing what it said (editing some alsa configs), the problem is fixed and 100% now sounds perfectly fine.
The only thing is that those config files for me was in /usr/share/alsa-card-profile/mixer/paths/ instead of that pulsaudio folder he showed.

Thank you again for the help, you saved me so much time.


we do use pipewire here … and may arch has different pathes in some stuff too

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.