Mic isn't detected by ALSA while my earbuds work

I use Apple earbuds (which have a mic on them) with the analog port, but the mic stopped working once I switched from Windows to Linux. (By the way, I use EndeavourOS Xfce.) I’ve tried getting my mic to work but only the output audio works. I tried editing Pulseaudio files and then deleted Pulseaudio after it stopped working. Since the sound still worked after I deleted Pulseaudio, I knew that it had to be an issue with ALSA.

I’ve also tried playing around with which analog port I would plug my earbuds in. The front of my desktop has a headphone port (though the mic also used to work through this port); the back has 3 ports: a mic port, a line out port, and a line in port.
Sound works through the headphone and line out ports but no mic is detected from either of those ports. The mic works in the mic port and the line in port (though somehow the mic is now in the earbuds, not the mic part attached to the wires) but no headphones (for audio output) are detected.
I have a feeling the computer now has a problem with both a headphone and a mic connecting through one port.

I hope that explanation made sense though I’m fine with explaining it again if it doesn’t make sense.
I’m just going to give all the info I have.

What I see in Pulseaudio (all of these pictures are with my front headphone jack plugged in):
Configuration is Analog Stereo Duplex:
the top one is the audio from my monitor (which works perfectly) and the bottom one is a mic that I apparently have in my desktop:
this one also shows the audio from my monitor:
there’s nothing in Recording
this one also only shows the audio from my monitor:

I’ll add more images in another post since new users can only have 5 attachments on one post.

now for Analog Stereo Output (which was my default one):
this is also the audio from my monitor:
this is also the audio from my monitor:
there’s nothing in Recording
this is audio from my monitor again:

Here’s my ALSA stuff (with alsamixer):
F2 System information → /proc/asound/cards
F2 System information → /proc/asound/devices
F2 System information → /proc/asound/timers

F6 Select sound card
F6 Select sound card

summary: mic doesn’t work when I pug it into my desktop’s headphone jack but the audio in the earbuds works

You should revert any changes that you made away from the installed defaults, otherwise troubleshooting is going to be mainly people working out how you broke things.

Otherwise, PipeWire would be the best next thing to try as it has much Bluetooth support than Pulseaudio.

I believe this is supposed to be a hint that more than five images shouldn’t be necessary, rather than an indication you should create a thread filled with images.

1 Like

After I deleted the edited Pulseaudio, I downloaded Pulseaudio (which is what the pics are using). To be fair, I have also made one or two edits but they didn’t do anything (I just changed it so now Pulseaudio is fully defaulted).

I don’t use Bluetooth so I don’t have a need to switch to PipeWire.

Good point. I just did it because I know I’m bad at explaining so I just used pictures instead.

Anyways, thanks for responding!
I just need help with configuring my earbuds and mic with ALSA