Marknote - New KDE "Notes" App

I hope it gets some Zettelkasten(-like) tagging, linking and search support.

You can get pretty far in Kate/KWrite with setting up MarksMan already:

Frankly it’s going to take a lot for me to move away from Obsidian, which does markdown, and plugins, incredibly well.

1 Like

I feel the same, except for me it’s QOwnNotes combined with Nextcloud Notes.

LogSeq for me.

2 Likes

I tried it out about a month ago, but didn’t quite understand the cult following that it has. Do you mind sharing what you like about it or how it’s better for you than other options?

• EndeavourOS forum - Why do I like LogSeq? #EndeavourOS
    • In the spirit of LogSeq I’m writing this out in LogSeq before posting. Hopefully the markdown translates
      • I needed a better way of taking notes and making todo lists both at work and in my personal life as I’m new to Linux and need to document everything I do so that I can solve problems if they come up again.
      • I tried Obsidian first and really liked the networked note-taking concept and the fact it was in markdown but found I was spending a lot of time in Obsidian creating folders, moving notes between folders and figuring out how I should be linking them.
      • I tried LogSeq and almost immediately uninstalled it when I thought blocks where just bullet points. Later on I gave it another try after bouncing off a bunch of other potential apps. Now I realize that blocks are actually very useful for organization and they can be minimized and linked to.
        • Joplin - too much like OneNote for my needs and linking notes wasn’t really supported well
        • Obsidian - too much time spent organizing it and I didn’t really want to rely on another proprietary piece of software
        • Zettlr - I didn’t like the side by side markdown editing as I got started with .md in Typora (still looking for an open source Typora replacment if anyone has suggestions)
        • Zim - a good local wiki but not what I really needed
    • When I tried LogSeq again I saw what it was doing with the blocks. It forced a bit of structure on me and let me just work on my thoughts. The more I used it the more I appreciated it.
      • The files are all in mark down and I can just get things done by typing it out instead of clicking around in an interface.
        • I can do almost everything with the keyboard, typing / brings up a menu full of options / for the mark down and things like date pickers or just inserting the time or a link or a TODO Item.
        • DONE I can make todo lists by typing /TODO
          • ticking them off is satisfying.
          • I tend towards being disorganized so having powerful TODO lists with automatically linked references has been a huge help with work and in my personal life.
      • It handles adding linked references on it’s own.
        • Both links and tags using # are supported.
        • The linked references are shown at the bottom pages and journal entries making it really easy to see what I was doing and thinking on any day and to discover the relationships between different pages which leads to.
      • The graph view is just cool once it starts getting larger. There is something really satisfying about seeing it expand and connect.
    • I’m just starting to scratch the surface of what it’s capable of. I haven’t really worked with queries or templates yet.
    • This ended up being a lot longer than I’d originally planned. I guess I’m a LogSicko.
3 Likes

LogSeq and Obsidian seem to have a lot in common, - personally my brain works by having notes organised in a classical folder hierarchy, kind of like the old paper folders with tabs. At least that’s how I think of it. Thanks for the write-up, I might give it a go!

1 Like

Wow! Thanks for the thoughtful outline. Your experience and process sounds very, very similar to me!

Admittedly, there are things about QOwnNotes that I feel are a little awkward for my process, but have kind of lived with it because I’d not found anything that worked better for me personally.

By what you say here, I need to try it again. Thank you!

1 Like

Kmarknote.

It’s the KDE thing to do!

KDE has been going for deep integration, making as many apps as possible to be able to share data as needed, so in their own eco-system it makes sense, I just installed Keepnote, but will try this for comparison, maybe make some suggestions. The KDE folk are quick to implement good ideas, and end up with a good and flexible product. It’s why I love KDE so much!

3 Likes

Just as always add K at the beginning, so it’s will be Kmarknote.

1 Like