Manual intevention needed: python-cairo, Conflicting files during update

When updating, you may receive this message if you have python-cairo installed.

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
python-cairo: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-310.pyc exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

If this happens, you can resolve the issue with this command:

sudo pacman -Syu --overwrite /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-310.pyc
46 Likes

Which version of python-cairo does this affect? 1.23.0-2 landed in Arch Extra < 30 mins ago (2022-12-03 22:33 UTC)

python-cairo-1.23.0-1 —> python-cairo-1.23.0-2
causes the issue :wink:

1 Like

oh didnt notice :stuck_out_tongue: mine didnt happend mayby a file transfer ?

No issues here executing normal update on Cinnamon DE. I’ll try later on Plasma.

Happened to me today, I don’t use the package specifically but I believe it is used by some of the applications that I use. I am also on plasma on KDE.

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
python-cairo: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/pycache/init.cpython-310.pyc exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

9 posts were split to a new topic: After update, system performance is slow

Thx, such a fast troubleshoot post! This is an other reason why I love endeavourOS and this community.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot @dalto
Amazing support, amazing forum, amazing distro, amazing…
I found the solution even before I report the problem.

2 Likes

Thanks @dalto for the quick response, it’s amazing.
Maybe just one or two problems per year? This is really bearable. EOS is one of the most stable Linux distributions, despite the fact that it is not a point, but a rolling release. However, we can note that although python is good, it is not the first time that it causes problems when updating.

file /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-310.pyc
/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-310.pyc: Byte-compiled Python module for CPython 3.10, hash-based, check-source flag set, hash: 0x3c05XXX33ad
/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-310.pyc is owned by python-cairo 1.22.0-1

So it was shipped by the package update to python-cairo-1.23.0-1 doe snot own it and 1.23.0-2 ships it again… some build issue ?

python-cairo  1.22.0-1   --->   1.23.0-1 

resulting:
error: No package owns /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-310.pyc

/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-310.pyc is owned by python-cairo 1.23.0-2

Many thanks for this. No error seen.

Got past this by just using:

sudo pacman -S --overwrite * python-cairo

1 Like

Added the intervention instructions to the Welcome app, visible after clicking button
Software News

5 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

Hmm, updated without issues…dammit. :rofl:

1 Like

To which version? :wink:

1.23.0-2

1 Like

Lucky you! :sweat_smile:

1 Like