Manjaro is at it again (shipping proprietary software by default)

That seems to be the common belief which does, however, ignore the rest of the developers and community who put unpaid time and effort into the distro.

“What do you mean, community-run distro? Manjaro has always been a company.”

6 Likes

Let me rephrase that, then:

They are the only two who directly receive money, and the only two who have full control over the distro.

3 Likes

I’ve been a user in this community long enough to realize that’s just how it is! Ask Kresimir and Jonathon …

Edit: I also witnessed the whole circus on the forum 2 years ago when Jonathon got his ass kicked and so the way things are going there should be clear. Unfortunately …
Vivaldi itself is not the problem, it is rather the iron hand that rules.

4 Likes

:100:

I don’t get the problem with this?
If you don’t want any propritary drivers or software Arch is just not a distro made for you. Either Parabola, if you want Arch-based, Fedora or OpenSuse. Or Debian of course.

Seriously, Open Source Evangelicals should NOT use Arch or Ubuntu-based distros.

But don’t complain if you can’t get your wifi to work then…

4 Likes

So you are seriously arguing that this is a big conspiracy where a community edition is being brute forced into using Evil Overlord Satanic Browser ™?

Not only is this laughable, it is also deeply insulting to the people behind the community edition.
Here’s a piece of advice: If you don’t like the choices of the maintainers of Manjaro Cinnamon makes? Don’t use Manjaro Cinnamon.

6 Likes

We are passing each other by, eod for me :beers:

1 Like

I really don’t know what is the big deal about this and as @Beardedgeek72 said you don’t like it don’t use it. There’s plenty of fish in the sea. Like :enos: Cinamon.

1 Like

And again, if you are a diehard FOSS person Arch based distros other than Parabola is just the wrong choice, period.

I would like to formally apologize for expressing my opinion on this subject. I thought this was a forum for the free expression of opinion.

1 Like

Well, there is a difference between using a proprietary blob driver for your WLAN card and using a proprietary web browser.

The former is being pragmatic and not wanting the hassle of running a completely free computer. The latter is just being carelessly foolish about security and privacy.

It’s not all black and white.

6 Likes

Im not gonna hate on this for not being FOSS but i do question the motive. Beyond just the maintainer liking it what does it really offer? I think making this the default is a poor choice. Im of the opinion that you should just give the user something usable then let them make the choice on their own. Give them a default basic browser they can use to get a better one if they wish or just use that one (Like Epiphany, Midori, or Falkon)

Not know what fuss … why worry if no use manjaro? if no want just remove

1 Like

There lot’s of Cinnamon to be had! If you don’t like the taste of it try a another Cinnamon mix. Right? If i don’t like Vivaldi then i just remove it from the ingredients. :rofl:

2 Likes

Well, it’s a proprietary web browser. Fuss is justified, in my opinion.

5 Likes

No Fuss! No muss! Uninstall it if you don’t like it. Really who are we to decide what should or shouldn’t be included. We can have an opinion but at the end of the day. It’s not our distro! If a person doesn’t like it then use something else or make your own distro. :laughing: Why get all worked up about it? I’m not! :wink: :innocent:

Edit: I’m sticking to the purple side! :rofl:

3 Likes

@Kresimir

understand your opinion :+1: I guess their opinion differ from your + it thier distro so i think thier opinion win over people that have different . ( personally i think it mistake )

I no use Manjaro so it no worry me

I use Vivaldi for years so this feels like good news to me. I don’t use Manjaro, so this also feels like good news to me :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I am sorry but what other reason would be neccesary?
“Linux is cool, do what you want!”
“— No, not like THAT!”

Well for a larger project like Manjaro even if its a community spin of it i feel like just swapping without seeing community thoughts on the matter “just because you like it” is a bit iffy imo.

If youre maintaining a project people come to depend on i think you have a responsibility to not just make changes on a whim.

2 Likes