Manjaro Cinamon + Vivaldi TechHuts take on that

firefox --allow-downgrade

We could ALL go back to Internet Explorer. I’m sure we would all be safe with that one. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Edit: IE 5.0 :wink:

Netscape Navigator baby!

netscape-3

4 Likes

I don’t use any of that new-fangled Netscape stuff. Mosaic is the real deal. It even supports flashing text.

4 Likes

My goodness do you have no humanity! :stuck_out_tongue: (has flashbacks to geocities websites)

1 Like

not sure what that command causes, sure not helpful for “normal” FF users, but I was suggesting that FF prompts, like “you have an outdated FF profile, but no problem we import it … OK.” (same with TB)

If you need to revert to an older version of FF, but the existing profile is from a newer version, you will get an error message that FF cannot start. In this case, you must either create a new profile to avoid damaging the profile and causing problems, or type firefox --allow-downgrade in the console. I assume that this is what was meant by backward compatibility, or not …

@Therion
it is not so important, but I had customers who kept an old FF version. But as we installed the new version, the old profile was not taken over by the new FF.

Message in a bottle:

Thank you!

5 Likes

I am far more concerned with people using Brave, since it’s founder is actively anti-freedom and pro-discrimination…

Please tell me more, you might just convince me to switch to Brave!

Very funny.
He actively campaigns against human rights for non-straight people.

1 Like

Could you show me an example of this?

No, because that would be both political and controversial which are both things that are outside the rules here.

If we could drift back towards on-topic it would be appreciated.

5 Likes

Vivaldi has some nice features… but I find it very annoying to open a browser which doesn’t have a decent speed dial/homepage (with Firefox, I see icons for about 10 instant access website shortcuts - the same happened with Chrome. But Vivaldi has weird ‘icons’ which use previews of a snapshot of the page, instead of icons.

2 Likes

Want a Mozilla-based browser that doesn’t randomly change its UI and features, has a built-in mail client, HTML editor, and chat?

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/

5 Likes

Frankly the best webkit browser atm is Edge.
No, not joking.

Edit: it’s faster, lighter and easier to make more private than Chrome(um). It is at least as fast as Brave and Vivaldi.

It does have just as easy to set privacy tools as Vivaldi but no built in adblockers. However in the Edge extension store it recommends adblockers and duckduckgo on the front page without qalms. (MS love their internal telemetry but they do not rely on ads, so they have no problem pushing popular adblockers. Also the Android app has an adblocker pre-installed).

It is not open source of course but nobody expects it to be.

Testing it on Android right now and it’s about twice as quick as Firefox, noticeably quicker than Chrome and with a built in adblocker and a better UI than both chrome and Firefox…

Do you use SeaMonkey, is it still a viable web browser in 2021? :thinking:

1 Like

Was it ever? :rofl:

2 Likes

It was just as good as Mozilla was. I mean before Mozilla was renamed Firefox.

1 Like