Manjaro Cinamon + Vivaldi TechHuts take on that

Also, “Chrome has a bigger number! We want that!”
Later, GNOME, “40 is a bigger number!”
:man_facepalming:

1 Like

@jonathon
???,
and also
older Firefox and Thunderbird .profiles went uncomaptible over version change, they should have made an import tool or something,
that did not happen with chrome or chromium.
Still, I don’t like Manjaro Cinammon Community actions taking in Vivaldi as default …

Browser profiles, stored passwords, bookmarks, syncing… All of that is overated and superfluous.

I keep my bookmarks in a text file (a HTML file loaded locally), I use KeePassXC as my password manager, and I don’t have any “firefox account” or similar rubbish. When I want to share a tab with another device, I send the URL in plain text.

3 Likes

Who cares.

Google uses their browser as their primary tracking tool.

Browser functionality is secondary. Tracking is primary.

Firefox is far from perfect, but at least its main purpose is not Orwellian.

4 Likes

@Kresimir
yes, I agree, but I had a lot of customers having problems because of that …

@otherbarry
also agree, I am just saying firefox should have tried to keep things nice to the
users, it is a hard task going against edge even without those unpopular changes…

To be fair, it’s not 100% proprietary. It’s just that not everything is inside the presented source code, if I remember correctly.

What difference does that make?

If it contained malware, where do you think the code for that malware would be? In the part of the code which is open, or in the part of the code which is closed?

frog_thinking_72

Big think…

4 Likes

I agree the Firefox changes have been frustratingly hit an miss, especially the WebExtension changes severely limiting addon functionality, but …

It doesn’t matter when the only other alternative are Chrome / Chromium deriviates … especially Edge.

I am more likely to gargle battery acid than use Edge / Chrome / Brave … no matter how bad Firefox gets.

3 Likes

@otherbarry
totally agree,
I also use FF along with some alternatives like Basilisk, Waterfox, Falkon, Konqueror
plus I haven’t tried Libre Wolf yet … :thinking:

1 Like

Disagree on that one … browser profiles are great isolation containers.

Keeping a clean template profile directory is useful too, for creating new profiles, which I do regularly.

Why? It’s not like I store any cookies or form inputs or history… When I close the browser it is as if I’ve never used it.

Belts and braces.

I periodically replace profile directories with templates I know are clean.

Overkill? Probably, but I have aliases for that … :grin:

2 Likes

I just delete em :slight_smile:

1 Like

My experience was different. I have been using ff for more than a decade now. I barely noticed any changes, even the UI menu. I just focus on the webpage contents, the rest doesnt matter to me. I like it KISS.

I am not sure about the profile folder, I use many different computers and the fastest way for me to get everything set up is just to login my firefox and sync. Thats why I like the sync features but many seem to not like it (why?).

1 Like

It’s Manjaro. What did you guys expect?

10 Likes

Nothing else to say. You gobbled that right up.

/Thread

4 Likes

I gobble gobble

3 Likes

I don’t care what anybody say’s! Firefox is still the best all around browser off the shelf! :fox_face: That’s what I’m using. It opens pages fast as i can blink. What more do i want. I don’t find any issues with Firefox. It works … I have no issues with websites, browsing, videos, downloading…etc. Vivaldi is too over the top for me. Sure it works good. So do most other browsers but Firefox for me is simple. I use a couple of extensions and i have no issues. I don’t care that Manjaro Cinnamon has Vivaldi as the default browser. I don’t like it i install Firefox and i can uninstall it. Besides BTW … i don’t use Manjaro! :laughing:

2 Likes

Have fun on your island for the next years ;).