M1 looks pretty amazing

Well, I know for certain my latest PC laptop chip was Intel Core i5 460M with 2 cores 2.80 GHz max frequency and 35W power consumption supporting 64-bit architecture I should expect 5.6GHz 4 cores at 15 W supporting 128-bit architecture. That’s not bad :rofl:

1 Like

Knowing Apple, they probably put a restriction on it to run Linux on it. The specs are very good though, so Raspberry Pi and Odroid, when will you up your game?

4 Likes

Dxvk is a thing you know.

25 teraflops. We need a console from this chip!

Wait for reviewers to compare these with the new ryzens.

Even if the performance was good s, I would recommend buying something that allowa easy install of the OS you prefer.

2 Likes

see this https://moltengl.com/moltenvk/

and

2 Likes

I’m sitting on the buy button on a Mac mini. A little interested I must say. I have promised myself not to buy Apple. Hard choice! :confused:

2 Likes

@anon9173994 to quote those much wiser than me:

1 Like

That may be so, but you can hope that Apple has learned something with ARM with mobiles, tablets and so on. They are not new to it.

I’ve already changed my mind. I’m not going to lock myself in again. 10 years with Apple should be enough for me. Sat on Apple 2005 to 2015. Never again!

2 Likes

I will replace one of my Lenovo computers instead. Must buy something! :smiley:

This:

https://www.dustinhome.se/product/5011188572/thinkcentre-m75q

Or

This:

https://www.dustinhome.se/product/5011188577/thinkcentre-m720q

Today I have some M710q:

A little newer CPU, otherwise similar!

Lenovo

But I need another small computer. I have a little love for them. Good as smaller servers. RPi and similar single-board computers are not for me. They have far too sluggish CPU for a real job!

4 Likes

well if you need to buy something and want to buy the mac mini m1 but dont want to be locked into it then by all means have it shipped to me !!!

:slight_smile: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

What do you even mean by this? Why does the existance of DXVK make Metl the same as Vulkan? Do you even game dev?

1 Like

Let’s not let our apple overlords get us monkeys all shook Up!

:hugs:

1 Like

look. someone already posted what i was hinting at. theres already the code to translate from vulkan to metal. people have already done it.

Teraflops isn’t terribly meaningful in general but it is even less meaningful when compared across different architectures.

Don’t get too excited for that 25 teraflop number until we start to see real independent performance metrics.

2 Likes

Why do you sound so pedantic? I was just genuinely curious as to what you wanted to point out.

I think what you are trying to say is that you can translate Vulkan to Metl right?

But how does that support your statement?

In the sense of game development, they perform the same endgoal of communicating between the GPU and the game but other than that they couldn’t be anymore different.

If Vulkan and Metl are essentially the same thing thanks to translation layers like DXVK, then that is the equivalent of saying OpenGL, Vulkan, and Directx graphics APIs are also essentially the same.

If we extend your analogy even further, that would mean all human languages are essentially the same since they can be translated to each other. A very flawed perspective.

You do you my friend but I’m seriously struggling to understand your reasoning, if there even is one to begin with.

2 Likes

Not sure why your so pissed mate. You can’t expect people to agree with you all the time.

But hey, the world’s your oister, I’m just living in it.

Let’s allow this to cool down and maybe we can return to the topic. :hugs:

I think this is an interesting conversation that should continue along its initial track. :enos_flag:

8 Likes

I’m looking forward to seeing a new iMac on apple silicon. I would hope it would offer at least twice as many cores and memory. Can’t call it an m processor though. Maybe an I processor? Something else for sure.

There’s really no reason for believing gaming is dead. Apple devs will respond in kind as they do for the things people are willing to pay for.

1 Like