Lot of out of memory crashes

Hi guys,
I work on Endeavouros since almost 2 years now, and i love this distro !
But I’ve been struggling with lot of out of memory crashes since few months, and most of the time it close my vscode app and/or my firefox window.

For example, today, i was working with 2 different vscode, maybe 2 terminal, and firefox with 10 tabs, and i had no less than 10 out of memory crashes…

I have a swap file, my kernel version is 6.5.5-arch1-1.

An example of log of OOM crash

I don’t know how to fix this problem ? Does anyone have the same issue and a solution maybe ?

Systemd-oomd has been criticized before for being too aggressive. If you believe that the issue is with systemd-oomd and not vscode/Firefox (which is likely the case), then you could start with trying to edit the configuration file. It is located in /etc/systemd/oomd.conf. The comment header in the file gives you more information on how to edit the settings. Specifically, you may want to set the following setting: ManagedOOMSwap=auto.

Please tell me if that helps any.

Also, welcome to the EndeavourOS forums!

1 Like

Somewhat of a similar issue?

Perhaps worth to keep an eye on?

1 Like

I’ve edited the systemd-oomd conf file, and i’ll update my post in few days to tell if it fix the problem !
Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Thanks, I read the post and checked the proc-meminfo.
I didn’t find anything abnormal but it’s good to know anyway !

1 Like

@Gnokie
What is the hardware btw? Post the url.

inxi -Faz | eos-sendlog

I would put memtest86 on a USB and boot on that. Let it run through tests overnight. I’ve seen too many times a faulty stick go unnoticed for too long.

Hi :slightly_smiling_face:, the url : http://ix.io/4IcB

Mobo: LENOVO model: 20S0004BFR v: SDK0J40697 WIN
    serial: <superuser required> UEFI: LENOVO v: N2XET27W (1.17 )
    date: 12/10/2020

Have you checked if there is a newer UEFI Bios update?

Hi, how could I check that ?

Best to check the lenovo site with your model and serial number.