Logout Shortcut... really only does shutdown?

So I noticed that in Budgie there is a CTRL+ALT+DELETE option for a shortcut that is tied to “Logout” in the budgie control center keyboard shortcuts. While I thought that would provide an option to logout of your session it looks like it only provides a “Cancel” or “Shutdown” option.

Is this done on purpose or is this an accident? Also is there a way to restart without having the user indicator in the panel?

Have you tried a shortcut to systemctl reboot ?

1 Like

By default, the key combination Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to instantly logout of your session is disabled. You can enable it by passing terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp to XkbOptions.

1. cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf

2. Take note of the following values; yours will probably differ …
    <1> = Option "XkbLayout" "us" → us
    <2> = Option "XkbModel" "nodeadkeys" → nodeadkeys

3. Now pass terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp to XkbOptions with the following command …
    localectl --no-convert set-x11-keymap <1> <2> "" terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
    With the variables from step 2. the command would then be …

localectl --no-convert set-x11-keymap us nodeadkeys "" terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp

[Edit] Sorry, I just noticed you were asking about Ctrl+Alt+Delete, not Ctrl+Alt+Backspace. :grimacing:
I’ll leave the info here for reference nevertheless.

5 Likes

Thanks for the reference on ctrl-alt-backspace, I might enable that one.

CTRL-ALT-Delete is a default key binding but in the keyboard shortcuts it says “log out” but really it is just a shutdown key. I’m looking for a way to prompt a choice menu like a lot of the other distro’s have where you can choose “Cancel\Shutdown\reboot\logout” from a menu.

I might just install one of the other managers for that which I have used in the past.

Yeah I have, but I’m looking for that prompt type menu where you get “Cancel\Shutdown\Restart\Logout” all in one menu. I know I can install extra tools to do it but I didn’t know if there was a default way to get that from the gnome bindings or something else?

Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

I’ll probably just make a new custom shortcut to

gnome-session-quit

as that does what I thought the keybinding CTRL-ALT-DELETE in Budgie was supposed to do.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.