Login Problems

Hi all from a cold and wet east coast of Australia.
I don’t know how but my system is out-of-Whack.
Trying to login with the right password> Loops back to login.
ctl+alt-F2
login ok
password gives this result.
"/home/$USER: change directory failed permission denied
logging in with home “/” "

FSTAB reads.

UUID=739405e0-a8af-40b0-b986-03efec09ca73 /              btrfs   subvol=/@,defaults,noatime,compress=zstd 0 0
UUID=739405e0-a8af-40b0-b986-03efec09ca73 /home          btrfs   subvol=/@home,defaults,noatime,compress=zstd 0 0
UUID=739405e0-a8af-40b0-b986-03efec09ca73 /var/cache     btrfs   subvol=/@cache,defaults,noatime,compress=zstd 0 0
UUID=739405e0-a8af-40b0-b986-03efec09ca73 /var/log       btrfs   subvol=/@log,defaults,noatime,compress=zstd 0 0
tmpfs                                     /tmp           tmpfs   defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0```

"journalctl -b -0"
[here](https://clbin.com/lRtWL)

Hopefully someone can brighten up my evening.
Many thanks in advance. :sunglasses:
sddm-helper[859]: pam_kwallet5: Couldn't create directory: /home/hassom/.local because: 13-Permission denied

sddm-helper[861]: chdir( /home/hassom ) failed for user:  "hassom"
sddm-helper[858]: pam_kwallet5(sddm:session): pam_kwallet5: Couldn't create salt file
sddm-helper[861]: verify directory exist and has sufficient permissions

It seems you have done something wrong. This is not possible to happen by any utility/program, unless the system administrator (root/sudo) allows it.

Login as root and fix your $HOME dir permissions (recursivelly).

1 Like

Thanks @petsam
I have learn’t an humbling lesson not tinker with the system while imbibing alcoholic beverages !!
“chmod 755 -R /home” done the trick
thanking you.

3 Likes

This is not the usual case I expected. Unless it’s not the exact command you used to solve it…
I don’t dare to ask how did you do it!.. :rofl:

At login
CTL+ALT+F2
login
password
su
password
chmod -R 755 /home
Back in business
May I ask what you would have done different?

Not about the solution.
It’s about the problem. Each problem has a different solution.
My question was about the problem… :person_shrugging:
Usually some users with problem logging in DE and having lost Xorg/GUI/DE, try to login in TTY using sudo , which changes their user $HOME owner, so you fix it changing folder (and contents) owner.
You changed permissions, not owner. Thus my question :person_shrugging:

In journalctl -b -0 it reported
Can’t create dir /home/hassom/Desktop
May 09 20:33:01 dave-osos xdg-user-dirs-update[903]: Can’t create dir /home/hassom/Downloads
May 09 20:33:01 dave-osos xdg-user-dirs-update[903]: Can’t create dir /home/hassom/Templates
May 09 20:33:01 dave-osos xdg-user-dirs-update[903]: Can’t create dir /home/hassom/Public
May 09 20:33:01 dave-osos xdg-user-dirs-update[903]: Can’t create dir /home/hassom/Documents
May 09 20:33:01 dave-osos xdg-user-dirs-update[903]: Can’t create dir /home/hassom/Music
May 09 20:33:01 dave-osos xdg-user-dirs-update[903]: Can’t create dir /home/hassom/Pictures
May 09 20:33:01 dave-osos xdg-user-dirs-update[903]: Can’t create dir /home/hassom/Videos
So I assumed it was just a permission prob. But I wanted to hear from someone that has more experience than I. Which would be probably everyone on this forum.
permissios on my home folder was 544. Wow that was a shock!

Probably, and still, I am sure you did the right thing, because … it solved your problem!
I would suggest you try remember how did you break it, …

so you won’t do it again. That’s all.
Have a good day! :+1:

There might be some Linux compatible devices :wink: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I believe it was something to do with Timeshift.
I have my snapshots on on another internal hard drive partition. I couldnt get in to that partition to see the snapshots so after tinkering with that partiton, I would say I buggered my home folder recursively somehow. I gave up, uninstalled Timeshift reformatted that partition. This is all I can think of.
Turned computer off. Came back to it after a couple of days, well you know as much as I do from there.
Anyway thanks for your help. It is truly appreciated.
Just saw that image. Gave me a good chuckle!! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.