I found a post that seems to list a similar problem but it is older and solution seems unclear except trying to replace light dm with gdm which may not be a solution.

Another thing that you could try at least is login in lts kernel. if not yet installed, sudo pacman -Syu linux-lts linux-lts-headers then reboot and select lts. That is a wild guess until someone more knowledgeable pops in to look at your config files. However, it never hurts to have a backup kernel in case something goes sides ways with driver updates.

I donā€™t know current problems with bspwm since I donā€™t use itā€¦ Hope you will find a solution.

Yes I seen and tried this option too already it didnā€™t work for me

Changed to GDM and it does the same thingā€¦

Ok then it maybe good to gather what packages were updated from the pacman log and see which one could be the culprit.

I canā€™t see your pacman logsā€¦

Ok I got it started in Gnome it is running now

1 Like

https://clbin.com/FgE9S

It starts in Gnome but not BSPWM and that was after changing to GSM

In the test group - we were using ly to get around some of the login manager bugs currently on the docket.

May I suggest to edit some of your posts and add the code that led to output in brackets then list the link with the output so itā€™s easier for other users to comment and follow which one is whichā€¦

Glad you got gnome working until someone kicks in with suggestionsā€¦

BSPWM should not have issue with login using GDM and as it does not work for both lightdm and GDMā€¦ could only be still an issue with xorg if GNOME runs on wayland?
the journal could tellā€¦
journalctl --since "23 minutes ago" | eos-sendlog

Is picom misbehaving again?? :flushed:

1 Like

This is also worth a look.

Yup, I have had to disable picom on my Arch VM, because of many issues for example: not being able to close programs

1 Like

Sorry I had to go to work earlierā€¦ Got home and the internet was dead for a bit here is the journalctl log

https://clbin.com/56gnu

i see some issues users have with picom enabled currently ā€¦

sorry will only help if you record journal after failed login tom BSPWM, this shows only running GNOME

I have the same issue as the OP. However, I have 2 laptops running the same software with 1 important difference. One was set during installation to autologin, the other was not, and always demands a login on boot.

The one set to auto login is the one that failed, and no longer allows any login via console. (I can still ssh into it, tho). The one that is NOT set to auto login boots up and starts bspwm as it always has with no issues.

If the solution is to abandon bspwm and install something else on the borked laptop (as the OP has done with gnome), Iā€™m cool with that. But before I did that, I wanted to supply this clue as it may be pertinent.

Replace LightDM with SDDM and try again.
LightDM has recently given several issues.

or try LY
yay -Sy ly
sudo systemctl -f enable ly
reboot

1 Like