Live Boot + install EndavourOS: Can't get graphical Desktop

I have try to install a brand new endavourOS via the lates iso, and no luck, can’t reach desktop.
and about the xf86-video-intel, I have not self install it, so if it have been there from the beginning, I can’t tell.

• Dr. Pain aka Per

Sadly sir eznix, no luck.

I have come to this: there MUST be something in the new kernel that is either turned ON or OFF that was not before, since I can take a old iso, from ubuntu and get desktop, even so, it’s kernel 5.15

My best guess would be (I do NOT have any knowledge on how to do it) enable i915.enable_guc=1 or up to 3 … (in kernel)
I thing that this have been removed, and THAT cause my problems with install a new.

I so much want to run Endeavour again, but best option for me to be able to do that is trouble some.
I must:

1. install my old Nvidia 1660S card
  2. install EndavourOS,
  3. replace the card, and install my Intel Arc A770
  4. and then remove any nvidia related.
  5. Prey to the linux good on the internet, and hope it works!

I really don’t want to go that route… but might be the only solution for me…

I struggle everyday to remember what I did yesterday, and doing to many things at same time = caos in my head. + I have to translate every single text I find to my own language (in head) … to be able to use and enjoy linux.

Dr. Pain aka Per

!!! I got a WORKING system now.
I will make a new post, and explain how I did.

• Greeting

PS: You better close this thread or delete it.
Since it’s away to confusing, even for me.

1 Like

We are waiting for you to describe what the solution was so that others can learn from it in case of a similar problem.

I had a few pm with @Dr.Pain and i tried to pass on a link to an ISO i created but the link failed to work. It was discussed back and forth and i told him that i thought it needed the Intel driver removed as the ARC cards run on open source kernel driver. I’ll wait for the user to explain how he did it.

Edit: This was mentioned to do in post #3 by @joekamprad

2 Likes
Intel DG2 [Arc A770] driver: N/A

I know… Can’t wait :slight_smile:

The Solution is:

You have to get rid of the: intel_dr.so and xf86-video-intel when you install the EndeavourOS
The only way I could do that was doing this:

1. Install archlinux with the desktop I want.
  2. Go to: https://github.com/endeavouros-team/EndeavourOS-ISO#how-to-build-iso

I downloaded the code from the site, and else follow the build page.
With only 1 exeption: In the packages.x86_64 (in the EndeavourOS-ISO-main dir)
I removed the: xf86-video-intel driver in XORG section.

1. Make the iso with the command from the build page.

2. Took the iso, and put it on my Ventoy usb

3. Boot the NEW created endeavourOS iso and install it.

4. Make the reboot

5. It will “hang” after it say: reach the graphical user…

6. Hit CTRL+SHIF+F2 (Get you to TTY2)

7. Login with your user/pass

8. I then installed mc via: sudo pacman -S mc

9. start mc, with sudo mc

10. Go to: /usb/lib/xorg/modules/driver and DELETE intel_drv.so

11. Reboot and all is done…

That is what I did to get it to work!

3 Likes

File intel_drv.so is included in package xf86-video-intel, so it should be removed when uninstalling the package…

Neverless… it did not.
I don’t know why it got in again, ummm, if I recall it, I even think that the xf86-video-intel package ALSO was installed, even I had dismiss it in the packages.x86_64.

You just may have not done something correctly when setting up to build the ISO. :man_shrugging:

Edit: I just created another ISO removing xf86-video-intel and i don’t see intel_drv.so on the live ISO so don’t think it would be on the installed system either. :thinking:

Edit: I’m not using an Intel system so not sure.

I am 100% sure, because else I would NOT bee able to reach to the desktop!
Remember, that’s why I needed to found out what cause the problem in first place.

If I take the the endeavour cassini iso and try to boot up, I won’t be able to get to the desktop installer at all.
Same goes with many other distro that have xf86-video-intel as default driver for intel install (e.i, us user that have AMD CPU, but new Intel Arc card)

I don’t think you are understanding what i said.

Btw, were you able to try simply blacklist i915 in the boot entry with the Cassini ISO?
That probably wouldn’t help.

If you do online install it will use a package list… and not the packages installed on ISO creation…

1 Like

So in other words you would have to uncheck xf86-video-intel?

As the ISO does not boot with xf86-video-intel and the latest Intel GPU, we could simply add a new boot entry for Intel GPU without xf86-video-intel?

1 Like

The Intel Arc cards needed i915.force_probe=pci_idkernel parameter with kernel 6 and below. The cards are supposed to be supported by open source kernel drivers soon. kernel 6.2?

Edit: But i think because they aren’t supported by the Intel driver it needed to be removed? I’m just not sure as i don’t have one of these cards. :thinking:

I’m glad you managed to solve the problem, even if it was so difficult. This also proves that the graphics drivers usually have the most problems during installation.

Will need some research still… could be it needs some implemented stuff on kernel to work by blacklisting module or even without any needed change and could even be it could work without the need to remove the X11 driver… and it would load properly side by side…