Liquorix kernel 5.8.5 available - now with Clear Linux and MuQSS patches

I wanna test 5.9, why am I so crazy about updates? hehe

2 Likes

You can go right ahead: https://github.com/torvic9/linux59-klitoris :slight_smile:
(you’ll be on your own, but it should work as I’m writing this from 5.9-rc4)

5 Likes

So that wasn’t joke after all :rofl:
:sunglasses:

5 Likes

Of course not :slight_smile:

7 Likes

After a few more tests, I think that I can recommend linux59-klitoris now for everyone who is tech-savvy (is that even a word?) :slight_smile:
So go ahead, clone the repo, build and run it.
I’m always happy when someone gives feedback.

The default config is almost exactly like Arch’s, there are no major changes to it, so you might want to tweak it.

(Remember it is a -rc kernel!)

3 Likes

Do you know if there are any obviously broken extramodules? (e.g. I need ZFS and Virtualbox)

1 Like

Good question. VBox should work if you build with gcc. I can test that quickly.
ZFS is tricky, I don’t have any zpools to test. However I can check whether the modules build correctly.

1 Like

Quick check for ZFS, there are a few 5.9 compat commits but they are a month old now, they might have been included in the 5.8 compat patches. :thinking:

1 Like

Thanks! Yes ZFS is tricky as I said. Especially when you bring into the equation clang support…The ZFS PKGBUILD is still on the level of 5.7, and I haven’t had a look at it yet.

EDIT: I just noticed that if compiled with debug info, this needs a lot of free space. I cannot build in a 16G tmpfs…be warned :slight_smile:

1 Like

Talking to Eli, he got the ZFS project to create a staging branch with backported changes:

https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/commits/zfs-0.8.5-staging

This means compat updates should be much easier to track. :partying_face:

1 Like

I will look at that tomorrow :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, VBox doesn’t work. I will have to backport or otherwise extract the needed changes:

fatal error: linux/smp_lock.h: No such file or directory

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry too much - it’s still a very early -rc.

Meh… that’s the usual problem with out-of-tree modules. And to be honest it’s very annoying :frowning:

1 Like

As for VBox with kernel 5.9, patches are available: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/19845

I redid the patches with one additional change and they are available here and here.

Builds fine but I haven’t tested it for 5.9 extramodules.

2 Likes

error: linux-lqx: signature from “Steven Barrett steven@liquorix.net” is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux-lqx-5.9.16.lqx1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n] n
error: linux-lqx-docs: signature from “Steven Barrett steven@liquorix.net” is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux-lqx-docs-5.9.16.lqx1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
error: linux-lqx-headers: signature from “Steven Barrett steven@liquorix.net” is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux-lqx-headers-5.9.16.lqx1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature))

someone has a means to fix pgp signature. i used to know it and did it a lot on debian a long time ago but ive forgotten now

You probably just need to import and sign the packager’s key.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Package_signing#Adding_unofficial_keys

3 Likes

yes that would be the question i am asking how. someone has a key id?

Ah! Something like:

sudo pacman-key --recv-key 9AE4078033F8024D && sudo pacman-key --lsign 9AE4078033F8024D

Key ID is listed on the Arch wiki “Unofficial user repos” page (in the OP).

2 Likes

where did you find the key id? and why am i so dumb?

And TY! <3

Now i understand the boost in performance i got that i could def see in Artix linux. Clearly they are baxing these patches into their kernel since they are forced to recompile the arch kernel i would think to accomodate openrc, s6, and runnit - i guess? I’m on the liquorix kernel with those patches on systemd with arch and it runs as good in ESO as Artix. Even linux-zen didnt do this well. its very smooth when i first load a toon… no lagging as you just get going…

1 Like