In terms of stability, is it save to update to kernel 6.0.1?
Probably yes. 5.19->6.0 is like 5.18->5.19 or and 5.x->5.x+1, it doesn’t carry major and unseen changes because it has a higher major number.
if want " stability " as you say. maybe use LTS ( just thought )
It seems that there is a problem with suspend with AMD GPUs although its working fine here.
Also, looks like there is a problem with Nvidia-470xx dkms not loading.
When I upgraded yesterday I did lose wifi, some other folks had that issue as well. But that has been patched so it is not an issue now. I am not having any other problems after the upgrade
I guess I’ll wait a bit more…
What does that mean?
Are you seeking maximum stability? Then you should go for the LTS kernel 5.15.x
Are you seeking stability comparable to what you had before with 5.19.x? Then you can go for 6.0.x. There is no reason to assume that 6.0.x is less stable than 5.19.x
I updated it and everything works fine, though I use the zen kernel and can’t speak to the vanilla version.
The wifi issue should no longer be a problem since arch did the patch. When I did the update yesterday afternoon (I live in central US) I lost the wifi and I reinstalled the broadcom-wl-dkms package. But there was an issue and it told me to check the make.log file and it mentioned the kernel stuff. To be honest I am not an expert, so I went to the EOS Reddit page and did see some other folks have this issue. When I woke up this morning the wifi issue had been resolved and I did another update and it is working perfectly fine now. I guess I don’t want to scare you off because of the wifi issue since it is no longer an issue
second one is there already…
yup, I am on it now fixed my issue right away. Timed up will because I woke up to the fix so it didn’t have a huge impact on me. But it shows how quick the fixes can come which is something I am enjoying now that I am on arch
I’d recommend to always have LTS installed. That way if a kernel update breaks something you can always fallback to and boot LTS. Then you can work off of LTS and wait for another update or rollback if needed.
If you do install more than one kernel I’d also recommend dkms drivers/modules when available as it will build for all kernels and you won’t have to worry that either.
What exactly would these be (package name)?
It’s going to depend on the package for example here’s nvidia:
extra/nvidia 520.56.06-2 [42.01MiB 42.03MiB] NVIDIA drivers for linux extra/nvidia-dkms 520.56.06-1 [0B 67.16MiB] [Installed] NVIDIA drivers - module sources extra/nvidia-lts 1:520.56.06-1 [41.16MiB 41.17MiB] NVIDIA drivers for linux-lts
You could see a list of all dkms availble by doing this
pacman -Ss dkms
another pro for dkms versions is that they will automatically build modules against all kernels on each update of the kernel giving extra security to be able to boot – sometimes happen that p.e. nvidia driver package is reaching mirrors a bit later and if you update in exactly that time you may have old nvidia and ne kernel leading to no x
I updated, everything works fine, thanks!
Guess " decision time " again soon it just nature of beast + small fun
Seems to be working OK for me but, as a bit of “insurance”, I’d suggest installing the LTS kernel as well. That way, should a serious error slip through a future kernel update, you’ve got a “backup kernel” so you can still boot.
This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.