Lightweight word processor and spreadsheet for Xfce

hi all, I have no office suite installed as I only use a word processor and spreadsheet occasionally, any recommendations please?

gnumeric and abiword are both light apps - standalone not so much - but light in the sense they don’t take much space.

4 Likes

You could try a appimage. Not always lightweight but small in size and standalone definitely.
Only office and libre offer them

1 Like

Collabora (or another online editor) is very lightweight. Otherwise just install LibreOffice and forget about it. What’s disk space for if not to have applications installed?

4 Likes

One more vote for LibreOffice. If your machine ran Manjaro well, then performance should be no problem.
Note that there are basically two versions of LibreOffice: libreoffice-fresh (the latest available) and libreoffice-still (more conservative and tested for a longer time). Both are OK for occasional use.

Unless you are content with some online office solutions…

1 Like

As an alternative, have a look at OnlyOffice (desktop version with stand-alone apps), it has a very nice and modern looking user interface (I don’t know why the link from the English page is shown as German below…):

2 Likes

Auf Englisch:

3 Likes

https://www.onlyoffice.com/de/download-desktop.aspx

because you have de inside :wink:

2 Likes

I would add my vote for Libre Office. I t doesn’t take up as much room as might be thought - a LOT of it is ‘common code’, and adding in the ‘rest of the pieces’ is quite low cost. It also gives you a common install which means help/assistance is always available if you have problems. I used to install AbiWord and Gnumeric, but if something didn’t work right…

1 Like

the concensus seems to be libre office, so will go with that, thanks all

3 Likes

Or just google docs :grin::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

No deps needed and usable in browser. Abiword and gnumeric is pretty lightweight… You notice the speed vs libreoffice. But standards are different story

I use google docs to save my bashrc aliases etc, then if the worst happens, its easy for me to quickly set up after reinstall, I need libreoffice for saving backups of gramps family history etc and doing reports, also found libre office draw useful for sorting photo prints ie 2 on one page etc

1 Like