Let's Talk about Wayland... article by Dedoimedo

@chdsl I would say there is one way of running real pure wayland and that would be via sway. You can completely uninstall all of X11 + Xwayland and it will still work…

I’m getting Pulseaudio flashbacks, which was pushed way before it was fully functional, or safe.

3 Likes

Since I have nothing to add to it I’ll quote a reddit comment that reflects my view on the issue:

Xorg is unmaintained.

Until you can propose some concrete solution that doesn’t start with “the community can…” like a bunch of other hopes and dreams, there is no point even debating about Linux continuing to operate on a static piece of software that can get no updates, fixes or releases. It’ll just drag everything else down around it until someone writes another “Wayland-type-thing” to cut it out of the stack.

https://old.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/lvgjy7/lets_talk_about_wayland/gpe4v1l/

PS: Sorry @Beardedgeek72 it was meant a global posting, not as an answer to your particular posting. Hit the wrong button.

4 Likes

It’s true tho.

For most people if you start a troubleshooting with "what’s the output of (insert console command here) then you’ve lost 80% of them.

Linux is basically at the same point where DOS based computers were in the early 90s.

It’s about the same level of hands on needed in 2021 for a desktop Linux system with ini / conf files, bat scripts and tinkering with sound cards (what irq do I need for my Soundblaster? :wink: )

3 Likes

Exactly that! I was surprised to run into so many troubles with my high dpi screen, and wondering why in 2021 this has not been solved yet for linux.

1 Like

I remember my soundblaster 16 :smirk:

3 Likes

I absolutely agree with the sentiment. The “normal” user isn’t interested in tinkering, they only care about “what does it do for me” right now. Even a CLI is beyond any reasonable expectation.

I would partially disagree with notion that the Linux community doesn’t get it. It does, at least the people who contribute code. But most of the time it’s hard enough for these contributors to scratch their own itch, not even venturing into the territory of polishing a product for the “normal” user.

It requires tremendous resources (steady revenue stream) to polish and package a product for the masses. Usually the money isn’t there until someone like Google or Microsoft shows up.

2 Likes

Here’s another example, I have to run a script on login just to get gamma working properly. It’s not difficult, but it would be beyond the capability of so many who would want to move to Linux. If Wayland can fix things like this, more power to it. But right now, it’s the equivalent of KDE4. It works, but good god it’s painful…

Script for information’s sake;

nvidia-settings -a 0/RedGamma[DP-0]=0.800000 -a 0/BlueGamma[DP-0]=0.800000 -a 0/GreenGamma[DP-0]=0.80
2 Likes

Google has come along and waded chest deep into Linux and decided to create fuscia as a result.

3 Likes

When I moved to pulse audio from alsa it was because my sound was going over hdmi rather than audio out with a cable to speakers and alsa couldn’t do anything for me. That’s what I remember.

2 Likes

Oh I agree. The gatekeeping, be it on purpose (only smart people use Linux and anyone not supporting is are working with the Devil) or not (it’s EASY, come on try it! Btw I really think you should try Gentoo instead of Mint, it is much better!) is 80% from the community, but the important part is the sheer lack of basic functionality. As I said I genuinely think Linux in 2021 is about at the same spot as DOS PCs were 1991 in the amount of hands on config needed.

I rather liked my dos games and my batch file for my startup menu

Bought my ega graphics card from the px

2 Likes

SomedayTM, Wayland is going to be great. Can’t wait!

I liked DOS, too. My first very own computer was a 386 with a math coprocessor, running DOS (before that I used my dad’s Amiga).

I still to this day have in my .zshrc this:

alias cd..="cd .."

It’s muscle memory…

3 Likes

Systemd display server is more likely

Gosh, I hope not… There’s already enough Soystemd in my computer…

1 Like

Luke Smith have correctly predicted that systemd will take over EVERYTHING :rofl:

1 Like

No we need moar. and why stop with my computer? let systemd replace the coffee you drink in the morning and the mug you drink it out of… MOAR SYSTEMD!!! MOAR!!!

1 Like

Well, if you are using this distro, you are into systemd… :slight_smile:

1 Like

The way the Linux communtiy is fractioning it is quite clear that there is a large part that HATES the thought of the plebians and normies using Linux and does everything to fight the idea of a standard system with good hardware support and GUI tools for everything. The Anti SystemD is just another symptom of that.

3 Likes

here comes fuscia to the rescue

Oooh look it comes optimized for stadia

1 Like