Let's have a drink together! What's in your glass today?

@ramblinwreck, @FLVAL: Orval is a delicious beer. So are Westmalle and Westvleteren, though the latter might be slightly expensive to acquire outside Belgium.

Achel is pretty good, too, and La Trappe (especially their Quadrupel) is very nice, as well.

I’m not a big fan of Chimay, personally, though it’s an excellent beer, I don’t think it is as good as, say, Rochefort.

Out of non-Trappist beers, I really like St Bernardus ABT 12 (which is very similar to Westvleteren, but nowhere near as expensive and rare), and Urthel Samaranth.

3 Likes

Totally agreed on Chimay; a fine beer, very fine in fact, but I’ll take pretty much any of the other Trappist ales over it.

Orval aged to 30-36 months is heaven for me; that age range is my personal sweet spot for Orval.

3 Likes

For me, it’s mostly Leffe (not bottled!) and La Chouffe, and sometimes a Kwak.
Those Belgians do know how to make beer - and chocolate :wink:

3 Likes

I like Kwak, especially when served in its fancy glass. I have to get myself one of those.

3 Likes

6 Likes

I’m born few kilometers from Belgium frontline, I have to say Belgium is the beer paradise !

The reason of good beer is about the good quality water in Belgium. Then lot of Belgians made trappist beer in Canada for the same reason, water quality…

Kwak is a special one !

4 Likes

Looks like we have a true drinking pandemic right here! :crazy_face: :beers:

6 Likes

Haha. Na, this is just Tuesday. Nothing special here.

4 Likes

This is on tap tonight.

leo

Leoe

3 Likes

Sorry, but I have to object.
Beer paradise is bavaria, especially the northern part of frankonia (north of Nuremberg).
As you can see on the following map (sorry, everything is in german, if you click on the right side on “Brauereien” (breweries) and just zoom in to the northern area of nuremberg (Nürnberg in german)) pins with numbers of breweries in that area.
And yes in some areas there are more than 100 breweries!
You can visit many of those breweries that have so called beer gardens close to them, where you can drink the local beer and eat something of course.
:beer: :beers: Cheers!

2 Likes

Now now. Let’s not be hasty. You can both go gather your top 3 beers and send them to me and I will be a very impartial judge and let you know who is correct.

6 Likes

singha-beer-01 :thailand: :yum:

5 Likes

@Shjim That looks really good. Unfortunately, I only had Leo in the fridge for tonight.

3 Likes

I feel sorry for you … 55555555 leo is ok tho :blush:

1 Like

@Shjim It could be worse, I could be drinking เหล้าขาว (Lao Khao).1

1A beer made using rice instead of hops.

1 Like

ใช่จริง :rofl: . No sore head in morning with Leo :wink::+1:

1 Like

I do believe an Irish could object too !
Sure when you drink too much beer, paradise is everywhere or not… :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

How many is that? I don’t know if I even know what that means.

5 Likes

Impossible.

Belgian and German beers cannot really be compared. They are completely different drinks. It’s like comparing brie and cheddar. Sure, they are both cheeses, but that’s where all the similarity ends.

5 Likes

Agreed. How does that old saying go? Ah yes, I remember. In heaven there is no beer, that is why we drink it here.

3 Likes