Latest update broke WiFi & caused sever screen flickering

Switched over to Endeavour, from Manjaro, a few weeks back. Things have been great so far, albeit with a few minor hiccups here and there.

I performed a system upgrade pacman -Syu earlier today, and upon restarting I can no longer connect to certain WiFi networks that were working before. I’ve removed/re-added them to no avail—it just gets stuck on getting an address. My built-in (laptop) display also flickers horribly, when a second/external monitor is connected (USB-C).

Any recommendations/known issues with the latest update?

Here’s some system info from inxi:

System:
  Host:          Kernel: 6.7.6-arch1-1 arch: x86_64 bits: 64
  Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5.27.10 Distro: EndeavourOS
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: Star Labs product: StarBook v: Version 1.0
    serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: Star Labs model: StarBook v: Version 1.0
    serial: <superuser required> UEFI: American Megatrends LLC. v: 1.16.0
    date: 11/21/2023
CPU:
  Info: 8-core model: AMD Ryzen 7 5800U with Radeon Graphics bits: 64
    type: MT MCP cache: L2: 4 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 1231 min/max: 400/4507 cores: 1: 1397 2: 400 3: 1397
    4: 1552 5: 1398 6: 1397 7: 1397 8: 400 9: 2047 10: 400 11: 1397 12: 1591
    13: 400 14: 400 15: 1951 16: 2173
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Cezanne [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Mobile Series]
    driver: amdgpu v: kernel
  Device-2: Microdia USB 2.0 Camera driver: uvcvideo type: USB
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.11 driver: X: loaded: amdgpu
    unloaded: modesetting dri: radeonsi gpu: amdgpu resolution:
    1: 3440x1440~50Hz 2: 1920x1080~60Hz
  API: EGL v: 1.5 drivers: radeonsi,swrast platforms: x11,surfaceless,device
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6 compat-v: 4.5 vendor: amd mesa v: 24.0.1-arch1.1
    renderer: AMD Radeon Graphics (radeonsi renoir LLVM 16.0.6 DRM 3.57
    6.7.6-arch1-1)
  API: Vulkan Message: No Vulkan data available.
Network:
  Device-1: Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210/AX1675 2x2 [Typhoon Peak] driver: iwlwifi
  IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 10:f6:0a:83:80:83
  IF-ID-1: docker0 state: down mac: 02:42:3a:0a:5a:dd
Bluetooth:
  Device-1: Intel AX210 Bluetooth driver: btusb type: USB
  Report: btmgmt ID: hci0 rfk-id: 0 state: down bt-service: disabled
    rfk-block: hardware: no software: no address: N/A

Update

Downgraded to 6.6 lts, as I think 6.6.x was installed at the time I setup the system, and I noticed 6.7 was running after the recent upgrade. Was hoping this would do it, but same flickering and no WiFi for certain networks. Phone hotspot seems to work, and when the WiFi is busy/transferring (when I downgraded to 6.6, and it was downloading everything) my laptop monitor was going absolute berserk with the flickering, and it seems to subside once there’s no/minimal activity.

1 Like

6.7.x is latest. Your inxi shows latest. You should like most everyone use the LTS under normal operation units you know if a specific reason not to.

That will likely bring you back to working. Wifi and Bluetooth historically break a notable amount on latest.

downgrade network manager, see also the bug report: https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/packaging/packages/networkmanager/-/issues/2

Had the same issue here, downgrade to lower version (1.44.2-3) corrected the error.

1 Like

Downgrading networkmanager solved the problem for me. Now we just have to wait for the fix.

1 Like

The lts kernel in Arch is aimed at server use, with several config options set so that it is optimized for servers (with CONFIG_PREEMPT being the one that was most discussed here on the forum). It is not intended by its maintainer to be used as main desktop kernel.
Yes, it is recommended to have it installed as fallback kernel in case the regular linux/linux-zen kernels have issues, but it is not optimal to use it as default kernel on every machine.

Edit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/md4j2w/the_linuxlts_kernel_not_fit_for_desktop_use/

I never heard any of this before, nor can i find anything about this online except the reddit link you provided? Even the Arch kernel wiki doesn’t say anything about this?

Hard to believe lts kernel is optimized for server use while Arch isn’t designed for servers AFAIK

It’s Arch, they expect users to go looking themselves, and the configs are diff-able. Diffing those shows differences where the lts kernel uses server-configs, just like the examples in the reddit thread.

The Arch linux-lts maintainer even clearly said it on the old flyspray bugtracker, but since it is in archived-mode I can’t find the bug report where he clearly stated it (search is only working through google, listing assigned issues is broken etc). The only issue I found with google was that one, where his comment (Andreas Radke (AndyRTR)) hints towards the lts kernel being non-desktop optimized:

And default CONFIG_PREEMPT=y (low latency desktop) is not desired for LTS kernels.

linux and linux-zen have that config set to y: CONFIG_PREEMPT=y

yet, there are servers running Arch, including the Arch servers :wink: And I also read from some users here on the forum that run their private servers on Arch.

Edit: Arch itself is only a set off packages. When you install it the official Arch way, you can create mighty servers with it. It is only the EndeavourOS-package selection that clearly targets Desktops.

1 Like

The link you provided here the bug report says it’s good server and the maintainer doesn’t confirm or deny that.

This would definitely be something I’ve never heard before other than from you, and in direct contradiction to just about everyone I’ve met that runs Arch daily successfully.

It’s even quite literally the number one most important thing you can do (arguably) to maintain your system in a more stable fashion. And I would also put it number 2 second only to users stop breaking their own system)

This banter isn’t going to help this person fix their issue though, please start another thread about the lts kernel created solely for server use. We don’t want this getting to clogged up with side talk.

i have created an issue on the Arch Gitlab to add documentation.
Let’s see what the outcome is, either he clearly states it again or he clearly states against it:

The diff is still clearly there although it got smaller (config taken from the last linux kernel of the 6.6 series and current lts):

diff linux/config linux-lts/config

Summary
3c3
< # Linux/x86 6.6.8-arch1 Kernel Configuration
---
> # Linux/x86 6.6.18 Kernel Configuration
10c10
< CONFIG_AS_VERSION=24100
---
> CONFIG_AS_VERSION=24200
12c12
< CONFIG_LD_VERSION=24100
---
> CONFIG_LD_VERSION=24200
17a18
> CONFIG_GCC_ASM_GOTO_OUTPUT_WORKAROUND=y
126c127,129
< # CONFIG_BPF_PRELOAD is not set
---
> CONFIG_USERMODE_DRIVER=y
> CONFIG_BPF_PRELOAD=y
> CONFIG_BPF_PRELOAD_UMD=m
132,133c135,136
< # CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY is not set
< CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
---
> CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY=y
> # CONFIG_PREEMPT is not set
881c884
< CONFIG_ARCH_MMAP_RND_BITS=28
---
> CONFIG_ARCH_MMAP_RND_BITS=32
883c886
< CONFIG_ARCH_MMAP_RND_COMPAT_BITS=8
---
> CONFIG_ARCH_MMAP_RND_COMPAT_BITS=16
4374d4376
< CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_TI_AM335X_TSC=m
5684d5685
< CONFIG_MFD_TI_AM335X_TSCADC=m
9558d9558
< CONFIG_TI_AM335X_ADC=m
11414c11414
< CONFIG_DEBUG_LIST=y
---
> # CONFIG_DEBUG_LIST is not set
11436c11436
< CONFIG_LATENCYTOP=y
---
> # CONFIG_LATENCYTOP is not set

forum is great. just updated a few minutes ago and cannot get wifi anmore no matter if 6.7 or lts kernel. only mobile hotspopt is working. will just wait as bugreport already issued…
:crazy_face:

Ooof. Another option is you can go further back for now. lts61 is in the AUR:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages?O=0&SeB=nd&K=lts&outdated=&SB=p&SO=d&PP=50&submit=Go

That is a known issue with networkmanager 1.46.0. DHCPv4 is ignored.

There are two possible solutions:

• Downgrade to old version of networkmanager. Manual configuration is not required.

OR

PS: Interesting. I have two same OS (A “main” OS, a small “rescue” OS including arch-chroot ) on my new device. The latest version of networkmanager works fine on one of them, but not on the other. Of course, some installed packages and network config are causing the issue.

2 Likes

yes indeed downgrading networkmanager helped. I just need to be careful. I’m an updateoid… I yay sometimes 2-3 times a day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, 6.7 is latest, and 6.6 was set when I first set this laptop up. I reverted to 6.6 LTS afterwards to see if these issues would revert, as per my update, but to no avail, they did not.

Bam!

That was it. Wasn’t sure where to look after bouncing between 6.7 & 6.6 kernels. After going back to 1.44.2-3 things are now working, thank-you =)

This bug explains things a bit more, too. My hotspot, which was working, issued out ipv6 addresses, whereas the networks that were failing to connect were all ipv4.

Maybe my flickering screen issues go away, too :crossed_fingers:

Network manager seems fixed ( https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/packaging/packages/networkmanager/-/issues/2 ), just installed network manager 1.46.0-2, rebooted and all working on my laptop again. Still it’s marked as “please test” over at gitlab so could be it doesn’t work for everyone.

Just tested on my server (running arch), all good.
Second laptop (Dell precision 7510 (Xeon) running EOS), all good.

After installing again 1.46.0-2, all good on my Lenovo ideapad Pro also… :+1: