Latest update broke my system

After the latest update eos would not startup. This is the output I get at startup:

[FAILED] Failed to start User Login Management.

See systemctl status systemd-logind.service’ for details.

[ OK] Listening on D-Bus Systen Message Bus Socket.

Starting Load Kernel Module drm…

[ OK ] Finished Load Kernel Module drn.

Starting Power Profiles daemon..

Starting User Login Management…

[ FAILED] Failed to start D-Bus System Message Bus.

See ‘systemctl status dbus-broker.service’ for details.

[ OK ] Started User Login Management.

[FAILED] Failed to start Power Profiles daemon.

See systemctl status power-profiles-daemon.service’ for details.

I OK 1 Reached target Multi-User System.

[ OK ] Listening on D-Bus System Message Bus Socket.

Starting Power Profiles daenon…

[FAILED] Failed to start D-Bus Systen Message Bus. See ‘systemctl status dbus-broker.service’ for details.

[FAILED] Failed to start Power Profiles daenon.

See ‘systemctl status power-profiles-daemon.service’ for details.

[ OK ] Finished Notify about reboot on special conditions.. [ OK ] Listening on D-Bus Systen Message Bus Socket.

[ Starting Power Profiles daemon…

FAILED] Failed to start D-Bus System Message Bus.

See ‘systemctl status dbus-broker.service’ for details. [FAILED] Failed to start Power Profiles daenon.

See ‘systemctl status power-profiles-daemon.service’ for details. [FAILED] Failed to listen on D-Bus System Message Bus Socket.

See ‘systemctl status dbus.socket’ for details.

[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Power Profiles daemon. [DEPEND] Dependency failed for Light Display Manager.

[ OK ] Reached target Graphical Interface.

I have tried to enter in a tty session but all I get is a blinking cursor on a black screen. I’ve tried to look for details in chroot session but I can not get any feedback on status commands in a chroot session. Hopefully, someone can shed light on this matter for I don’t know what broke the system, I can only guess, your help would much appreciated.

So I decided to rollback to an earlier snapshot and it’s booting up again, however I still have to do the updates. Do you have any advise for me to update without breaking the system again? I would like to add that I don’t use systemd boot but grub instead. Could it be dbus-broker-units that broke the system?

Today I decided to update only dbus, dbus-broker and dbus-broker-units, thanks to the mighty Chatgtp for the tip. I found out that indeed it was the dbus package that broke the system, at least a dependency was missing for the Power Profiles daemon to work and the lightdm display manager to start a grapical environment. Again here is the output:

See 'systemctl status systemd-logind.service' for details. [OK]
Listening on D-Bus System Message Bus Socket. Starting Load Kernel Module drm..
Starting Power Profiles daemon...
[OK] Finished Load Kernel Module drm.
[FAILED] Failed to start D-Bus System Message Bus.
See 'systemctl status dbus-broker.service' for details.
Starting User Login Management.
See 'systemctl status power-profiles-daemon.service for details.
[FAILED] Failed to start User Login Management. systemd-logind.service' for details.
See 'systemctl status [FAILED] Failed to listen on D-Bus System Message Bus Socket.
See 'systemctl status dbus.socket' for details. 
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Light Display Manager.
Starting Load Kernel Module drm.
[FAILED] Failed to listen on D-Bus System Message Bus Socket. See 'systemctl status dbus.socket' for
details.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Power Profiles daemon.
[OK] Finished Load Kernel Module drm.
See 'systemctl status systemd-logind.service' for details.
[OK] Reached target Multi-User System.
[OK] Reached target Graphical Interface.

It would be super useful if anyone had some advise on how to solve this issue. So please leave your suggestions.

Partial updates are not supported, just an FYI.

Your only real suggestion is to let them know, find a way to not use whichever one broke your computer, or wait until another update fixes it for you.

Seeing how many things require dbus, you surely won’t be the only one having this issue, and I’d imagine it’s resolved quite quickly.

First mistake.

2 Likes

No. If you read the logs carefully and compare the latest error logs and the original logs, you’ll realize that you are mistaken. In the original log, systemd-logind.service did not fail, but in the second set of logs, it did.

The reason it failed in the second set of logs is most likely because you ran a partial upgrade, which is a surefire way to break your system. You decided to update only dbus-broker and co. without also updating other packages. This will break many things because a lot of other packages might depend on older versions of dbus and co.

It is likely that the first and second sets of error messages are caused by different issues. The first is likely caused by a botched update (it could be any package, not necessarily dbus-broker) whereas the second is caused by a partial upgrade. The point is that you cannot conclude that dbus-broker is causing the initial problem based on a failure that’s caused by a partial upgrade.

Rollback the system to a previous state where everything works. After that, do the following:

1. Install the downgrade utility.
  2. Upgrade the system properly, without performing a partial upgrade.
$ sudo pacman -Syu

or

$ yay
  1. After that, reboot and see if everything works.

If it works, then it means that your initial issue may also be caused by a partial upgrade. If it doesn’t work, it means that the issue really was caused by an updated package, in which case you should do the following:

1. Access the TTY
  2. From the TTY, use the downgrade utility to downgrade the packages you suspect are the culprits. Instead of rolling back to a previous snapshot and then only update a selected few packages (which is a surefire way to break your system) to newer versions, you are now downgrading the problematic packages to older versions while letting the downgrade utility take care of the dependencies.
  3. Reboot and test.
  4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 until you have identified the problematic package(s).
  5. File a bug report.
  6. Either IgnorePkg, or don’t upgrade until you know the problem is fixed.
4 Likes

FYI this is happening to me as well with the latest update. I was getting some errors related to DBUS not starting. My system works for a few hours and then hangs abruptly if I open VMware or docker.

Thank you very much for your insightful advise, I learned something new along the way, how to use the downgrade command. :smiley: I have followed your advise to rollback to a working snapshot and did a fresh full system upgrade. Unfortunately though I still wasn’t greeted with the (lightdm) login screen rather with this:

See 'systemctl status power-profiles-daemon.service' for details.
See 'systemctl status systemd-logind.service for details.
[ OK ] Listening on D-Bus System Message Bus Socket.
Starting Load Kernel Module drm..
[ OK ] Finished Load Kernel Module drm.
Starting Power Profiles daemon..
Starting User Login Management. [FAILED] Failed to start D-Bus Systen Message Bus.
See 'systemctl status dbus-broker.service' for details.
See 'systemctl status power-profiles-daemon.service' for details.
[ OK ] Started User Login Management.
[ OK ] Reached target Multi-User Systen.
[ OK ] Finished Notify about reboot on special conditions.
[FAILED] Failed to listen on D-Bus System Message Bus Socket.
See 'systemctl status dbus.socket' for details. 
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Power Profiles daemon.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Light Display Manager.
[ OK ] Reached target Graphical Interface.

Rebooted and entered in a tty session to check for all the systemctl calls for details and they all returned:
Failed to connect to bus: Connection refused
Since I have snapper installed I wanted to look for differences in the status for installed packages between the pre and post upgrade state. I could not even list my snapshots:

$ snapper Is
Failure (org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoServer).

So probably the new dbus-broker-units package is the problem. But there are no earlier versions to downgrade to, I can only reinstall the same version. I have also checked for mutual dependancies between lightdm and power-profiles-daemon. According to the Arch pages for both packages they both have glib2 and polkit as dependencies in common. Both are already installed in my case.

Leaves me to wonder whether I should choose the second option for dbus-daemon-units next time?
Since I got this message during during installation:

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: There are 2 providers available for dbus-units:
:: Repository core
   1) dbus-broker-units  2) dbus-daemon-units

Enter a number (default=1): 1
looking for conflicting packages...
warning: dependency cycle detected:
warning: libcamera-ipa will be installed before its libcamera dependency

And those last dependencies are also both already installed.

From the tty, run this command:

$ journalctl -u dbus-broker.service | eos-sendlog

Post the output url here.

1 Like

I have got a pastebin with the output for you, since the eos-sendlog was unsuccessful:

(yad:1198): Gtk-WARNING **: 11:52:57.523: cannot open display:
Nothing sent.

Here is the link to the pastebin: https://privatebin.io/?aa0a4c3bcbd68de6#HvjYoeaPuhqWtmtvA1f2hAw38qBB5iUxxWm6rFDhxZF6

I went digging into the logfile myself and found out that I had a very outdated AUR package installed called panther-launcher-git somewhere on the background, that I never use anymore. So, I rebooted into a tty session and uninstalled the package, rebooted again and voilla, It boots up again into a graphical lightdm session. So, thanks again @anthony93 for the helpful assistance and effort. I’ll be definitely more careful with outdated AUR packages from now on.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.