Laptop reboot/freezing randomly (even on fresh install)

Hello, I have an Asus ROG Strix G15 laptop with Ryzen 9 5980HX CPU & 6800M GPU.
I’m encountering freezing issues / reboots randomly, noticeably since the last week, and very often the last few days.
I’ve noticed that it usually occurs when I try to use Discord, and mostly never occurs when I’m gaming.
But it does crash randomly, and since fresh install while just collecting system info, it has already crashed thrice.
I mainly use Wayland, but it also freezed with X11. (I can try to get a log of this, if it helps to confirm)

I’ve come across a post (for Windows) where someone encountered random freezing for an Asus laptop, and they needed to set minimum fan speed to 2000:

I’m not sure how I can do this yet, but I’m curious if this is somehow related.
Temperatures usually seemed fine before the freeze, whenever I tried to keep tracking using the system monitor.

I’ve tried using debian 12 with KDE, but I encountered the same issue.
I’ve also tried using latest Linux Mint with XFCE, and that seemed to be okay for a long period, but it did crash when I stopped gaming & started using Discord.
I used Windows for a few hours & with Discord, it seemed okay. I’d need to check it further to be sure. Hopefully, I don’t have to permanently switch back.

I’ve already upgraded my system from 16GB to 64GB RAM, and added a 2TB SSD. I’ve done a memtest for the RAM, both the SSDs pass health check while using smartctl -a.
The 2TB SSD shows the following error info, but I believe it doesn’t matter:

Error Information (NVMe Log 0x01, 16 of 64 entries)
Num ErrCount SQId CmdId Status PELoc LBA NSID VS Message
0 2428 0 0x0000 0x4004 - 0 0 - Invalid Field in Command

I’ve collect some system info:

After crash 1:
inxi -Fxxc0z: https://0x0.st/XmVj.txt
journalctl -k -b -0: https://0x0.st/XmVe.txt
Xorg.0.log: https://0x0.st/XmVt.txt
Xorg.0.log.old: https://0x0.st/XmVv.txt

(More in comments)

lsblk -o name,type,size,PTTYPE,FSTYPE

NAME TYPE SIZE PTTYPE FSTYPE
sda disk 14.5G gpt
└─sda1 part 14.5G gpt vfat
nvme0n1 disk 476.9G gpt
├─nvme0n1p1 part 1G gpt vfat
├─nvme0n1p2 part 1G gpt swap
├─nvme0n1p3 part 452G gpt ext4
├─nvme0n1p4 part 750M gpt ntfs
├─nvme0n1p5 part 22G gpt ntfs
└─nvme0n1p6 part 200M gpt vfat
nvme1n1 disk 1.8T gpt
├─nvme1n1p1 part 1.5T gpt ext4
├─nvme1n1p2 part 16M gpt
└─nvme1n1p3 part 293G gpt ntfs

Please let me know what else I could collect, or how I could isolate where the issue is coming from.
I can also try removing the newly added components (RAM/SSD), but it’s been many months since I’ve had them, so I would think it’s unlikely.
Or maybe disconnect monitor, peripherals, etc.

Before crash:
inxi -Fxxc0z: https://0x0.st/XmVc.txt
journalctl -k -b -0: https://0x0.st/XmVT.txt
Xorg.0.log: https://0x0.st/XmVJ.txt
Xorg.0.log.old: https://0x0.st/XmVy.txt

Ironically, I can see an Xorg crash before I noticed any actual freezing (this could be during previous boot, but I’m not sure):
[ 8.904] (EE) Backtrace:
[ 8.904] (EE) unw_get_proc_name failed: no unwind info found [-10]
[ 8.904] (EE) 0: /usr/lib/Xorg (?+0x0) [0x59c60dfb8ced]
[ 8.904] (EE) unw_get_proc_name failed: no unwind info found [-10]
[ 8.904] (EE) 1: /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (?+0x0) [0x7df2ccb53ae0]
[ 8.904] (EE) unw_get_proc_name failed: no unwind info found [-10]
[ 8.904] (EE) 2: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/modesetting_drv.so (?+0x0) [0x7df2cc39b830]
[ 8.905] (EE) 3: /usr/lib/Xorg (InitOutput+0x1762) [0x59c60dfddcc2]
[ 8.905] (EE) unw_get_proc_name failed: no unwind info found [-10]
[ 8.905] (EE) 4: /usr/lib/Xorg (?+0x0) [0x59c60dea4f93]
[ 8.905] (EE) unw_get_proc_name failed: no unwind info found [-10]
[ 8.905] (EE) 5: /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (?+0x0) [0x7df2ccb3cc88]
[ 8.905] (EE) 6: /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (__libc_start_main+0x8c) [0x7df2ccb3cd4c]
[ 8.905] (EE) 7: /usr/lib/Xorg (_start+0x25) [0x59c60dea65c5]
[ 8.905] (EE)
[ 8.905] (EE) Segmentation fault at address 0x10
[ 8.905] (EE)
Fatal server error:
[ 8.905] (EE) Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting

After crash 2:
inxi -Fxxc0z: https://0x0.st/XmVw.txt
journalctl -k -b -0: https://0x0.st/XmVx.txt
Xorg.0.log: https://0x0.st/XmVY.txt
Xorg.0.log.old: https://0x0.st/XmVg.txt

After crash 3:
inxi -Fxxc0z: https://0x0.st/XmVI.txt
journalctl -k -b -0: https://0x0.st/XmVl.txt
Xorg.0.log: https://0x0.st/XmVU.txt
Xorg.0.log.old: https://0x0.st/XmV0.txt

The problem seems to be related with software (non-kernel). Inspect full journal for errors (not kernel only).
Xorg/Wayland crash seems the result of something else :thinking: .

I ran journalctl after the crashes [from an hour before the crash]:

Crashed at 09:54 - https://0x0.st/XmUx.txt
(kernel: 6.1.62-1-lts)

Crashed at 18:08 - https://0x0.st/XmUv.txt
(kernel: 6.9.6-arch1-1)

Crashed at 21:43, 22:23 & once more on reboot - https://0x0.st/XmDy.txt
(kernel: 6.1.62-1-lts)

I don’t see anything too obvious.
I tried using older lts kernels, just to see if it helps. With 6.1-lts, it crashed way less often; ~2 times in a day so far vs ~2 times an hour.

While going through some posts related to random freezes on asus machines/laptops, I saw some users mentioning that c-states could be the cause.
By this guide, I’ve set the kernel param intel_idle.max_cstate=0 processor.max_cstate=1 to disable c-states.
Hopefully, it works.