Laptop lcd screen is too too bright. disturbs me

redshift.
That should take care of your problem.

1 Like

I use redshift, and from what I know, it doesnā€™t have option to control brightness. It only controls temperature.

Have I been missing a feature all these days?

Iā€™m not trying to pull a Bogdan here, but for a new user here, I have more solutions than most of you guys. Iā€™d be the first to say that such stats are meaningless, but I at least hope it shows that I try my hardest help people around here. So I do not appreciate getting called out by people who do less than me.

Yes, Iā€™m aware that this is off topic, and Iā€™d be grateful for any moderator to clean it up. To my defence: I did not start it. But Iā€™m done with it now, muting the topic.

2 Likes

Of course yes. For a newbie like me, I dare not go against this. And I totally agree when you suggest not using pamac. What I didnā€™t agree was interpreting the ā€˜arch userā€™ phrase in a negative tone.
Again, Iā€™m learning stuff, and have my own share of frustrations with linux distros. And I understand that frustrated users tend to question intelligent peopleā€™s suggestions. I gave up on i3wm three times. If a reddit user had said ā€œWhy you want to use a wm when you donā€™t know what it is?ā€, rather than ā€œSee my dotfiles youā€™ll learn it. I know its difficult at startā€, I wouldnā€™t have ever switched to i3wm as my primary setup.
College professors are very very intelligent and experienced, but they may not be the best teachers for a 5 year old child.
I use i3wm now, and I like it honestly. Few months back I was cursing this software, saying that how on earth can people use i3wm. I have friends who have cursed linux distros too much. Now they themselves use linux distros.

tl;dr:

1. I respect you. I respect all the intelligent guys here, and on other forums on the web who make the linux jouney easier for new users like me.
  2. I didnā€™t intend to hurt you, or any arch user.
  3. As I said before, language barriers are real: If any of my words hurt you, Iā€™m perfectly fine with deleting my comments and apologizing. No questions asked.
    :heart:
    (if this emoji could convey better than words, what I feel for people)
5 Likes

Why doesnā€™t Redshift change the backlight when I use the brightness option?

Redshift has a brightness adjustment setting but it does not work the way most people might expect. In fact it is a fake brightness adjustment obtained by manipulating the gamma ramps which means that it does not reduce the backlight of the screen. Preferably only use it if your normal backlight adjustment is too coarse-grained.

1 Like

i donā€™t hate terminal. i like it, but not for search ā€¦ i tried for sometimeā€¦ so hard to useā€¦ need to type in a lot of stuff just to do a few search , and have to type in more option to avoid searching hidden file or some directory that i donā€™t think the result will be locatedā€¦ such as -prune ā€¦ and ā€¦

as i said, i like the MANUAL power of linux, i really adores itā€¦ just like i like to drive toyota car , that i can fix myself if i want to, instead of bmw and mercedes carā€¦ which not diyer friendly.

i am so glad to hear you saying you spend hours helping ppl with tech issue and donā€™t mind doing thatā€¦

who need bill gate when there are ppl as helpful as you ā€¦ really.

but one thing i felt helpless is , everytime i use a new distro, i have to learn to do a lot of adjustment and fiddling before i can start using the computerā€¦ the time vs learning curve is too muchā€¦ lol but got no choice. i donā€™t mind if i can tackle issues at my relaxing time, but i canā€™t , because i have got things that i need to do , but i canā€™t because, i have not got my syncthing working, have not got my vim workingā€¦ these are the thing that i need to use daily. sync data between phone and laptopā€¦
after that still got something i need to rush outā€¦ sigh ā€¦ timeā€¦ and learningā€¦ i donā€™t have bothā€¦ thatā€™s what made me panicky

why would you use red shift when ā€œbrightness-controller-gitā€ works by reducing temperature of color and brightness of both screen ?
i am just asking. i used redshift before, but ā€¦ not as impressed as brightness controller git. pls update me if i missed out something. thx

I find it easy to use and with great results, itā€™s just a matter of preference.

If you want pamac. You can install with pacman.

sudo pacman -S package_name
yay -S Package_Name

I looked up the Pamac package you would want via AUR.
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pamac-aur-git/

So the command would look like this

sudo pacman -S pamac-aur-git
yay -S pamac-aur-git

1 Like

i tried to use command line for nowā€¦ after i tried a few time and get the hand of it, i will get pamacā€¦ but if i am getting good with command line , pamac will be installed just for some rare occasion. tq.

1 Like

Iā€™m not a fan of command line. Thatā€™s why Iā€™ve created a personal Wiki that I use for reference whenever I need to use CLI.

can share your personal wiki with me ā€¦ take a look if there is something i can use ? lol

My Wiki is nowhere near organized and still a work in progress. Here is what little I have covering pacman. Some of these are a mix of Endeavour and Manjaro when it comes to mirrors and Reflector.

Summary

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman
sudo pacman-mirrors -f 5
Ranks 5 mirrors by speed and rebuilds your mirror list. The purpose of this is to make sure you are connected to a good mirror.

sudo pacman -Syyu
Run after changing mirrors

sudo pacman -Syu -Package
When installing packages

sudo pacman -S -Package
When installing packages

checkupdates
Check for updates without installing them.
The bash script checkupdates , included with the pacman-contrib package, provides a safe way to check for upgrades to installed packages without running a system update at the same time.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/System_maintenance

sudo reflector --country 'United States' --age 12 --protocol https --sort rate --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

1 Like

I know this is regarding brightness control, but have you tried using redshift?

at night my LCDā€™s are just to much for me, so redshift adjusts the color temperature, can be done automatically as well (warmer at night, less intense, and normal during the day). Might be an alternative to try, or in conjunction with your brightness control.

I still use Pamac for searching when I donā€™t know the specific name of a package, and to just poke around to discover software I would never have found otherwise. Itā€™s great for that and for notifying of updates, but I prefer using the terminal for installing and upgrading.

How can pacman install pamac . The command should be yay -S pamac-aur-git . Use of yay is preferred because you can install both repo and AUR packages .

1 Like

i kept hearing good ppl suggesting redshift. how come no one suggesting ā€œbrightness-controller-gitā€ ? this makes me feel a bit aloneā€¦ now i am wonder if this app that i used before is popular enough to be safely inspected?

This will not work, because pacman is not an AUR helper.
Read this:

And itā€™s a good idea to at least skim through this:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository

3 Likes

Same here. Three years in, I decided to just have TKPacman around for repo installs, but mainly have a few commands in a text file, and just use TKPacman for a quick check of dependencies now and then, and any small updates that are okay outside of TTY.

Agree that either using Pamac or using simple terminal commands from the start can work; depends on the person and how they learn best. Some never go beyond basic maintenance and some really get interested and take it further, so itā€™s great that thereā€™s clear options and information given here.

I use trizen, but have yay installed too, so youā€™d need to use yay/trizen to install pamac ā€¦easy mistake to make.