Laggy touchpad on kernel 6.1.1-1

Keep the LTS kernel for now. Your system is up-to-date, right? No partial upgrades and everything?

1 Like

I have downgraded btrfs-progs due to an unrelated issue that stopped grub-btrfs from populating the grub menu with snapshots, but the behavior on both kernels was exactly the same even before I did that. The system is otherwise up-to-date.

I don’t have xf86-input-synaptics installed, but I do have xf86-input-libinput. Not sure if that is required or not since I am running Xorg.

If it works fine on LTS, use LTS.

In any case, I would advise against installing a bunch of stuff and changing a bunch of configs trying to fix it.

In general, unless you have a really good reason to use the latest mainline kernel, stick to LTS.

xf86-input-synaptics is no longer maintained according to Arch Wiki. Regardless, I doubt you need xf86-input-synaptics at all; you’ve never needed that package before.

Something must have gone wrong somewhere. The kernel must detect the correct device for the device to work.

If you want, you could try re-installing linux and regenerate the kernel image (should probably be taken care of by pacman hooks, anyway).

Me too since the OP has btrfs and can roll back why not just use the latest kernel that works and wait for another kernel beyond the one that doesn’t since the problem started when a new kernel update happened.

Agreed. Tweaking a bunch of configs without precise knowledge of what the real problem is can lead to a mess.

1 Like

I will probably end up doing that for now. I’m just worried that this will have to be a bridge I have to cross regardless whenever LTS ends up getting updated past this version.

I’ve done this a few times during this whole process, seems to just be tied to this kernel version specifically.

All you can do now is wait. Do keep us posted though.

1 Like

Meh, that’s the future PeggyFromIT’s problem, not yours. Who knows what the future will bring? Maybe it will get fixed… Maybe we’ll all be dead… The user nobody knows.

Enjoy the precious moments you have with linux-lts and don’t worry about that!

Welcome to the forum, btw. :frog:

There you have it, @PeggyFromIT (This user name reminds me of “Jim from IT”, from Sherlock. You aren’t by any chance a Sherlock fan, are you…?). A heartwarming welcome from our friendly neighborhood Frogman.

Fair. Should I try reporting this upstream? Submitting something to LKML seems to be a bit intimidating, and I’m not sure if I could provide the information required to document the issue thouroughly.

It’s just a decade-old in-joke. Was a bit where someone was pretending to be an IT scammer and had a list of names he kept cycling through, with “Peggy” being one of them. Never seen / read anything Sherlock related.

Thanks for everyone’s help and the warm welcome.

I decided to look into this further and pinpointed this commit as the root cause of the issue. I compiled a new 6.1.2 kernel with this commit reverted and now the touchpad has the same behaviour that it used to.

1 Like

Seems to just be a change to my laptop’s default parameters for intertouch. I found a mention of intertouch on the archwiki page, and setting the psmouse.synaptics_intertouch=0 kernel parameter fixed the issue on the stock linux 6.1.2 package, so compiling a custom kernel isn’t even necessary.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.