Kmail for outgoing email

I can’t set up kmail for outgoing email.

I tried various methods, the only one that seems to work is to have google mail generate a password for the program in question.

i suspect it only works for one send, does anyone know a solution

best

thanks Stefano.

Hello @anon87220378
I don’t use kmail myself on KDE Plasma. I use Thunderbird but here is a link to Kmail that might help.

https://userbase.kde.org/KMail#Using_KMail

Edit: I would look specifically under using kmail, configuring kmail.

in gmail you have to generate a passphrasse in secirty and use that… you can in security block whatever email to get email fromgmail on that point…

kmail does not have a extention that does it for you i gues… the smtp for outgoing mail is the same also.

you cannot use gmails password anymore you have to generate it and it stays in security if you remove that you cant use it anymore

@anon87220378
Sorry, It doesn’t look like the link i sent you has any information as some pages in the setup of kmail are non existent! Doesn’t look like they are keeping up with their documentation. Are you trying to use kmail as your email client. It shouldn’t be too hard if you use the built in wizard and it can detect the mail server settings like Thunderbird does.

kmail from what I tried, to send email works and does not work, and I think it does not even depend on the program.

from the tests carried out on email addresses like outlook it works, on gmail it does not.

You could use Thunderbird. That is what i use.

which smtp port to you use ?

Don’t know if it’s relevant, but recently an app on my tablet refused to connect properly to gmail (though ti used to work fine). Something that the big "G* has implemented for ‘security’ reasons… App lockout is good for you.

As mentioned, Thunderbird seems unaffected so far. Here’s the TBird settings for GMail…
Site: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 465
SSL/TLS
OAuth2
in case that helps…

smtp.gmail.com
ssl/tls 465
Plain

with 0Auth2 error

in thunderbird is for incoming have something as 0Auth2 but for smtp cannot select XOAUTH2 ?

Important changes to the services and Google Account.
however it works even if with inexplicable delays.

Thanks for your comments,
fantastic community :revolving_hearts:

2 Likes

Having similar problems to you, but not because of gmail which I don’t use.
With a French ISP I am able to fetch mail from their server but I get this error message when sending mail:

SSL handshake:error:0A00010B:SSL
wrong version number

The official help pages for Kmail are not much use because they assume acounts will all be set up automatically with their wizard. In my experience it’s very much a hit or miss affair as their use of a Mozilla database doesn’t seem to cover all types of servers. I had to rerun the wizard several times to finally get it to set up an account with posteo.de which is a well-known mail service here in Europe.

I’ve used several email clients on different DEs and never had so many problems as with Kmail. Does anyone know how it works under the hood as there seems to be a problem with the SSL handshake but the GUI to configure settings has no detail about the type of security used for handshakes.

I have never used kmail and I’m not sure how it sets up the account. I use Thunderbird which does the same automatically. I can only offer the suggestion to check the settings it’s using.

https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/kmail/kmail2/manual-configuration-quickstart.html

Thanks for you quick reply. I finally decided to go back to my good old favourite - Claws-Mail which at least has a clear interface allowing you to manually adjust security checks according to requirements of mail provider. I have three different accounts configured and though it took a slight delay to download mail as I prefer to keep copied locally, it was up and functioning after a quarter of an hour’s work.

It took me several days to get Kmail to properly download mail, but recurring problems with sending mail finally drove me to remove it completely. A pity as as it works well with Kontacts, but I think they have a lot of work to do to get their PIM package working consistently.