Kernel isn’t updating / python dependencies?

Three days ago, Screenfetch (Which kind of hardware do you use with EndeavourOS?) said …
… OS: Arch Linux
… Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.4.4-arch1-1
This is not the current status.

Is it possible that this is related to certain dependencies associated with Python? There is already a thread (Conflict python2-pyqt5 etc. during update) that I have read about this. But every case is different. And as a Linux beginner I don’t want to destroy my working EOS by rashly configuring or deleting something. Here the messages after the last pacman -Syu:

[ws@endeavouros ~]$ pacman -Syu
[sudo] password for ws: 
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
 endeavouros is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: python-pyqt5 and pyqt5-common are in conflict. Remove pyqt5-common? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing xorgproto (2019.2-2) breaks dependency 'xf86dgaproto' required by libxxf86dga
[ws@endeavouros ~]$ 

Thanks

This looks exactly like an issue back in December. How long ago did you do an update? This should have been resolved.

Please see this instruction from Arch in december:
https://www.archlinux.org/news/xorg-cleanup-requires-manual-intervention/

Please follow the instructions precisely.

Also here is some more info from these very forums:

edit: bottom link corrected. Sorry.

2 Likes

we can understand that on tested pcs, we can have update delays, but on pcs that you use every day, you have to update and consult https://www.archlinux.org/

1 Like

Yeah, that’s it! Hello @Beardedgeek72 and thanks! It’s really a great community here. Even as a beginner you always get good advice.

The update took more than half an hour. But now my kernel is hopefully up to date (x86_64 Linux 5.4.15-arch1-1).

1 Like

he is up to dateit’s up to date, i’m on linux since 2017

Glad to help! Oh and please update your system at least every two weeks; you might (might, mind you) run into issues if you wait too long (plus as you saw, two months worth of updates can take some time, it’s basically a brand new installation at that point). On the other hand there is no need to update every day, either if you don’t feel like it. Find a schedule that works for you, and keep an eye out for updates you really want (say you are waiting for a new feature in your desktop of choice, like when Xfce 4.14 was released or Gnome 3.34).

Edit: here is a small tip for you:
Arch does not clean out old replaced packages automatically, it keeps them indefinitely or until you clean out the cache yourself. A good idea is to run the command

sudo paccache -r

Now and then; it cleans out the cache of old replaced packages except the latest three copies, for backup reasons. OR you could just get into habit of combining the two commands:

sudo pacman -Syu && paccache -r

when you make an update.

2 Likes